- Last updated:
- 24 Apr 2019
Representing the whole of the Sunshine Coast. View regional boundary map.
Mayor Jamieson's office is located in the Eddie DeVere Building on the corner of Currie and Bury Streets, Nambour.
Phone: (07) 5441 8242
Fax: (07) 5475 7277
If you wish to invite the Mayor to attend an event, please email Mayorinvitations@sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au and an RSVP will be provided as soon as possible.
For after hours emergencies contact council.
Mark Jamieson has led a distinguished career in both the public and private sectors. He has approached all his roles with the personal ethos to not only do well, but do good.Mark Jamieson has been the Mayor of the Sunshine Coast Council (the fifth largest local government in Queensland) since April 2012. He was re-elected for a second term on 19 March 2016 with 76% of the vote on a two candidate preferred basis.
He is reshaping the Sunshine Coast economy, strengthening community programs and supporting and building on the region’s already outstanding environmental credentials.
This includes driving a major regional infrastructure program that has the most innovative mix of public and private investment opportunities in Australia. It is underpinned by a clear 20 year blueprint established for a new economy for the Sunshine Coast and which is already delivering results.
Mayor Jamieson’s successful leadership of Council is evidenced by:
- Achieving five consecutive surpluses, consistent unqualified audit reports and under his stewardship, council has achieved the highest Queensland Treasury Corporation financial sustainability rating of any council in Queensland.
- The region has now been independently rated as having the second strongest performing economy in Queensland and has experiencing some of the highest levels of business confidence in the last four CCIQ-Westpac Business Confidence surveys.
- The Sunshine Coast now has an unemployment rate of 4.7% - lower than the Queensland average, and more than half what it was when he was first elected as Mayor. Youth unemployment has also declined by more than 5%.
- Council has acquired and now manages one of the most extensive municipal conservation estates in south east Queensland. It has achieved national recognition for a number of its environmental programs.
On 20 October 2016, Mayor Jamieson was elected overwhelmingly by his Mayoral and Councillor colleagues from across Queensland to serve as President of the Local Government Association of Queensland (LGAQ) for the next four years.
In just six months since his election as President, Mayor Jamieson has been able to deliver:
- a strategic review of the five commercial entities owned by the LGAQ and a blueprint for a fully integrated commercial operation that has a sharper focus on the needs of Queensland councils;
- a reinvigorated approach and fresh advocacy plan for the LGAQ to better position local governments in the 21st century; and
- a major win with the Federal Government in resolving long standing issues associated with the management and eligibility arrangements for the Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements.
Mayor Jamieson also sits on the Board of Directors for the Australian Local Government Association and the Council of Mayors South East Queensland.
Prior to his election as Mayor in 2012, Mayor Jamieson enjoyed an extensive career of nearly 30 years in chief executive and senior leadership roles in media and publishing. He had strategic and operational responsibilities for customer satisfaction, staff development, business performance and shareholder growth. In 2006, he was appointed Chief Executive of APN Australian Publishing, where he was accountable for newspaper assets valued in excess of $1 billion.
Mayor Jamieson has also brought his leadership skills and passion for the community to many representative and not-for-profit organisations with which he has been associated, including as:
- Director of Pacific Area Newspapers Publishers Association
- Director of the Sunshine Coast Helicopter Rescue Service
- Member of Rotary Clubs of Hervey Bay, Toowoomba East and Rockhampton Sunrise
- Patron of Sunnykids, the Beacon Foundation, The Friendship Force of the Sunshine Coast and the Sunshine Coast Sports Federation
- Vice Patron of the Maroochydore Surf Life Saving Club and Surf Life Saving Queensland
Education2008 - Executive Leadership Program, Harvard University, Cambridge USA
1990 To 1995 - Bachelor of Business (Distinction) with double major in Marketing and Human Resources Management (University of Southern Queensland).
A strong united team at council which:
- delivers a robust economy
- makes a strong community
- creates an enviable lifestyle and environment, and
- provides value for the community by delivering quality leadership and services.
- Beacon Foundation
- Blackall Range Woodcrafters Guild Inc.
- Kenilworth Hall, Show and Recreation Ground Assoc. Inc.
- Kenilworth Historical Society
- The Friendship Force Of The Sunshine Coast Inc.
- Lilley & District Rifle Association (at North Arm Shooting Complex)
- Maleny Show
- Maroochydore Surf Life Saving Club Inc. (Vice President)
- Surf Life Saving Sunshine Coast
- Surf Life Saving Queensland Assoc. (Vice Patron)
- Sunshine Coast Aero Club
- Sunshine Coast Agricultural Show
- Sunshine Coast Sports Federation (Co-Patron)
- Sunshine Coast Hockey Assoc.
- Yandina & District Historical Society Inc.
- President, Local Government Association of Queensland
- Director, Australian Local Government Association
- Director, Council of Mayors South East Queensland
- Director, LGIAsuper (Local Government Investment Australia)
- Chair, Local Disaster Management Group
- Fellow, Australian Institute of Management
- Member, Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Member, Australian Olympic Committee (Qld) Team Appeal Committee for Rio 2016
- Member, LifeFlight
- Honorary Membership: Rotary Club of Woombye-Palmwoods