- Friday 26 June 2015
Planning for the future, building our economy and protecting and enhancing our way of life have been the focus of Division 2 projects in the 2015-16 budget.
Divisional councillor Tim Dwyer said the $588 million council budget built on achievements completed this past financial year.
“There is more than $7.7million in infrastructure projects allocated to Division 2, and of this we are aiming to spend around $1.4m to upgrade parks and gardens around Caloundra,” Cr Dwyer said.
“A healthy community is one where residents have easy and plentiful access to open spaces where they can exercise, socialise, or simply get away from it all.
“This expenditure will include the start of major works to further develop the popular Caloundra Headlands Foreshore Park which will continue over the next few years.
“Likewise, Russell Barker Memorial Park at Golden Beach has been allocated $150,000, the start of a five-year project.
“At the very heart of the division, Council is spending $2.7 million on street-scaping on Bulcock St, Caloundra and surrounding precincts.
“This will be carried out in line with recommendations from the Caloundra CBD Taskforce, to ensure we get the best bang for our buck.”
Cr Dwyer said $150,000 had been allocated toward a flood study of the proposed Caloundra South site and its impact upon Pumicestone Passage.
“While we welcome the growth that will emanate from Caloundra South, we are being equally watchful about the potential environmental impacts upon the area,” he said.
“There are a lot more people who will be calling the Sunshine Coast home in the next 20 years – and most of them will be building and residing here at the southern end of the Coast.
“It is essential we have the infrastructure and environmental safeguards in place to ensure we manage that population growth well.”
Highlights for Division 2, 2015-16
- $2.7 million for Caloundra street-scaping, Bulcock St, Caloundra and surrounds
- $991,000 for reseal and rehabilitation of road network
- $550,000 for Caloundra Headlands Foreshore Park staged implementation (ongoing)
- $400,000 for Caloundra Central Park master plan
- $370,000 for Kings Beach, Caloundra groynes rehabilitation
- $200,000 for the culvert rehab along Minchinton St, Caloundra
- $150,000 for Bribie Island breakthrough action (ongoing)
- $150,000 for Russell Barker Memorial Park Golden Beach staged upgrade (ongoing five years)
- $150,000 for additional pathway to enhance access to the Caloundra Music Festival
- $150,000 for Pumicestone and Caloundra South Flood Study
- $135,000 for Caloundra Indoor Sports Stadium rehabilitation of roof and walls
- $120,000 for Bledisloe Blvd, Pelican Waters pathway renewal
- $120,000 for kerb realignment at Queen St, Caloundra
- $100,000 to rehabilitate Bevan Henzell Bridge, Pelican Waters pathway
- $78,000 to renew Mellum Crt, Dicky Beach kerb and channel
- $70,000 for the kerb and channel renewal along Bott St, Dicky Beach
- $55,000 for Arthur St, Caloundra Skate Park shade sail renewal
- $50,000 for Ben Bennett Park, Caloundra trail renewal
- $50,000 for Moffat Beach playground renewal (ongoing three years)
- $50,000 for Kings Beach North Park playground upgrade
- $40,000 for the new sediment basin on Pelican Waters Blvd, Pelican Waters
- $30,000 for the Pelican Waters lock renewal program including the overhaul gates
- $22,000 for Grigor St, Moffat Beach open channel rehab
- $20,000 for Ormonde Tce, Kings Beach surf lifesaving facility - development plan
- $10,000 for Beerburrum St, Dicky Beach shade structure renewal