- Last updated:
- 28 Nov 2016
Council adopted the Sunshine Coast Open Space Strategy 2011 at its Ordinary Meeting on Wednesday 7 March 2011, setting a framework for ensuring the open space needs of our growing community are met into the future.
This Strategy was refreshed in August 2014 replacing the 2011 version. The intent of the refresh was to deliver cosmetic changes and reflect the new Sunshine Coast local government area whilst maintaining the approved policy content.
The Strategy aims to ensure the community's need for recreation parks, sports grounds, recreation trails are planned for into the future.
The vision of the Strategy is vibrant, green, diverse – a network of parks, reserves, trails, waterways and community hubs nurturing wellbeing, supporting our economy and protecting our lifestyle and biodiversity.
Recreation parks, sports grounds, trails and environment reserves are an important element of the Sunshine Coast lifestyle. Our unique and distinctive communities, our economic advantage and our relaxed lifestyle are bound together in an affinity with this natural environment.
On the Sunshine Coast we have been blessed with an abundance of natural assets, rich and diverse landscapes, natural beauty and strong cultural identity.
Ongoing population growth and increasing visitor numbers, changing community needs, more compact living and environmental challenges are expected to put increasing pressure on this open space.
In response and to assist in achieving the corporate vision to be Australia’s most sustainable region – vibrant, green diverse, Council is implementing the Sunshine Coast Open Space Strategy 2011.
The Strategy aspires to achieve seven desired outcomes:
- Strong community identity
- Economic advantage
- Environmental protection
- Enhanced wellbeing
- Well-connected communities
- Affordable and responsive management
- Community involvement and partnerships.
Key directions of the Strategy include:
- Facilitating a diverse range of quality open space locations, settings and experiences
- Utilising open space to support the local economy, protect the environment and strengthen community identity
- Providing appropriate access to, and standard of, open space
- Improving the effective and efficient use of land and resources
- Building strong partnerships
- Improving sustainability of open space outcomes.
View the Open Space Strategy:
- Sunshine Coast Open Space Strategy Part One
- Sunshine Coast Open Space Strategy Part Two
- Sunshine Coast Open Space Strategy Part Three
For more information please contact council's customer service.