- Last updated:
- 27 Feb 2019
Council has invested $42m to secure a strategic 53 hectare land parcel in central Maroochydore to develop as an expanded city centre. This landmark project will be one of the first delivery exemplars showcasing the innovation of a brand new 21st Century city.
To facilitate public access to the expanded city centre, in 2016 council commenced a major transport construction project to deliver key entry accesses to the new city centre.
Upgrades to five intersections along Aerodrome and Maud Street were required, with a new four-lane entrance constructed to the new city centre from the Aerodrome Road/ First Avenue intersection.
Intersections covered in the project area of work include:
- Aerodrome Road intersections - First Avenue, Maud Street (completed end 2018)
- Maud Street intersections - Bungama Street, Allambie Street, Dalby Street (completed August 2017)
- A layout of Aerodrome Road Intersections Upgrade is available to be viewed.
- The major construction phase concluded in December 2018.
- The Maroochydore Intersections Upgrade project was a joint initiative of Sunshine Coast Council and the Queensland Government.
View the artist impression video of this project in helping to shape the future of Maroochydore.
These upgrades will help to accommodate the future growth of the Maroochydore region and deliver:
- improved traffic connectivity
- improved road safety
- new pedestrian paths and crossings
- a separated cycle facility
- improved public transport connectivity
- improved underground services
- a significant visual improvement to the area with landscaping and streetscape beautification treatments
- space for a future light rail corridor.
The project commenced in early 2016 and scheduled for completion at the end of 2018. The major construction phase concluded in early December 2018, with some minor finishing works scheduled for January 2019.
The new four-lane entrance way to the expanded city centre will be open to traffic in the first part of 2019 (timing TBA).
|Community update 5
|Community update 4
|Community update 3
|Community update 2
|Community update 1||August 2016|
The project team will continue to liaise with directly affected businesses and residents to inform them of specific construction activities, timeframes and impacts.
Council would like to thank the local community for its patience during the construction of this key transport upgrade for Maroochydore.
Maroochydore Intersections Upgrade Project Team
Phone: (07) 5475 7272
Mail: Locked Bag 72 Sunshine Coast Mail Centre Qld 4560
The Aerodrome Road Intersection Upgrades are a joint initiative of Sunshine Coast Council and the Queensland Government.