- Last updated:
- 11 Mar 2019
The fourth and final stage of the Sippy Downs Drive Upgrade – between the Sunshine Motorway and Siena College – will be constructed from September 2018 to December 2019. View a map of this upgrade.
This project will:
- improve safety for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians
- help to improve traffic flow (particularly in peak periods)
- cater for future expected traffic capacity
- create an attractive entry statement into Sippy Downs.
The upgrade includes:
- duplicating traffic lanes in both directions along Sippy Downs Drive to enable four lanes of traffic (two each way)
- changing the existing roundabout at University Way/Sippy Downs Drive to become a four-way signalised intersection
- creating a new four-way signalised intersection at Sippy Downs Drive Service Road/Sippy Downs Drive/‘W-street’
- upgrading the Sippy Downs Service Road to work with the new signalised intersection
- new street lighting
- an opportunity for public art as part of the entry statement
- approximately 200 new trees and plants, planted over two years.
Construction to widen the road started in September 2018 and is expected for completion in December 2019.
Some temporary traffic changes will occur during construction. Traffic management will be in place to inform motorists.
Further information about the upgrade can be found in our Project News August 2018.
|Notification - Night Works 17 March 2019||17 March 2019|
|Notification - Water Main Works 7 and 23 March 2019||7 March 2019|
| Notification - Construction break over Christmas and New Year period
||10 December 2018
| Notification - Temporary changes to traffic conditions Saturday 24 November[480KB]
||21 November 2018
| Notification - Night works from Sunday 23 - Friday 28 September[497KB]
||19 September 2018
| Notification - New road lanes construction[2149KB]
||14 September 2018
Where to from here
Construction works will be staged to help keep two-way traffic flow throughout the construction period and minimise inconvenience to residents and visitors.
Construction will take place from Monday to Saturday, during the day and night. This will help council complete the project as quickly as possible. Works will continue throughout school holiday periods but exclude public holidays.
Trees and landscaping
To accommodate the road upgrade some trees must be removed including the large fig tree previously located on the University Way/Sippy Downs Drive roundabout.
Council investigated transplanting the fig tree, however due to its size, the high costs involved and the low chance that it would survive, it was not possible. This area will become a new four-way signalised intersection improving safety and traffic flow.
Although the fig tree could not be transplanted, council recognised the tree’s significance to the Sippy Downs community. Council has propagated saplings from the existing tree which are being grown in council’s nursery. They will be planted around the area so the tree will live on within the community.
The design has been considered as part of the Sippy Downs Town Centre Masterplan.
For more information, please contact council's Project Officer on (07) 5475 7272.