- Last updated:
- 23 Feb 2017
The Queensland State Government Landsborough to Nambour Rail Project[include7] involves construction of a dual-track railway along an improved route between Landsborough and Nambour.
The proposed railway upgrade will boost frequency, speed and reliability of rail services and cater for the increased demand for passenger and freight rail transport. The railway upgrade is proposed to be operational by 2031.
Previous work on the corridor includes:
- identification of a preferred route
- community consultation
- the preparation of an environmental impact statement (EIS) for the Landsborough to Nambour Corridor Study.
Council’s submission on the environmental impact statement (EIS)
Council forwarded a submission [PDF 3MB] to the Coordinator-General and the Department of Transport and Main Roads (DTMR) in response to its call for public comment on the EIS.
Council believes the project is likely to have some short term impacts, but bring longer term benefits to the Sunshine Coast and communities along the rail corridor by providing reliable, frequent services.
The submission proposes a closer working relationship between council, the community and DTMR to lower the impact of the proposed realignment including:
- the early establishment of vegetation offsets and nurseries for rehabilitation work
- the realignment of local roads to be affected by the rail realignment before the major construction phase begins
- the formation of a working group.
Supplementary environmental impact statement released for comment
The Department of Transport and Main Roads also prepared a supplementary EIS. Council has forwarded a submission [PDF 1.5MB] to the Coordinator-General.
For more information, please contact council’s Project Manager, State Transport Projects via council’s customer service centre.