- Last updated:
- 10 Nov 2019
Council is partnering with Seqwater to improve water quality in the region's catchments.
OSF contribute to elevated nutrient levels which can:
- lead to algal blooms, and
- excessive aquatic weed growth.
This hampers recreation and commercial uses of waterways and affects aquatic life.
OSF also contribute to high levels of Escherichia coli (E.coli) and can lead to the spread of pathogenic organisms through waterways.
The program has been implemented to manage the impact OSF can have on our waterways.
The program consists of:
- monitoring water quality to identify water quality issues
- inspecting OSF in areas with identified water quality issues
- providing information to residents and community groups on the effective management of OSF
- working with residents and industry to rectify failing OSF.
For a comprehensive guide, refer to council's: