- Last updated:
- 13 Mar 2017
If your land application area is overflowing, reducing the household water use can help with the problem. It is easy to reduce a household's water consumption up to 50% by doing the following:
- install water efficient fixtures, appliances and tap ware:
- install flow restrictors 6-9 litres per minute to all tap ware/outlets discharging to the on-site sewerage facility (OSF)
- install dual flush toilets
- use a water efficient washing machine and dishwasher
- fix any leaks straight away.
- change water use habits and behaviours:
- reduce showers to 3 minutes
- use the half flush button on the toilet when appropriate
- don't leave the tap running while cleaning i.e. teeth, shaving, peeling vegetables
- make sure the washing machine and dishwasher are full before use.
- re-use and co-use water where possible:
- bathe small children together
- re-use laundry hand washing water on the garden
- catch shower water in a bucket while the shower warms up, and use it in the garden.
For a comprehensive guide to water conservation, refer to council's:
- how to reduce the water load on your OSF video, view the transcript, and
- water conservation fact sheet.