- Last updated:
- 10 Oct 2016
The 2016 Kids in Action conference registration is now closed and is at capacity.
1 - 2 September 2016
Hundreds of students and teachers will explore and discover nature during the Sunshine Coast Kids in Action Conference. The conference is part of Kids Teaching Kids Week. Kids in Action brings schools together to explore local environmental issues.
Early registrations competition is now closed and the winning schools of the iPads are Golden Beach State School and Montville State School. Congratulations to both winners. As a school registrations to attend Kids in Action 2016 have closed. To register your expression of interest to attend 2017 Kids in Action please complete the online Registration Form.
The theme for the Sunshine Coast Kids in Action 2016 is - "Living Communities" - linking local flora and fauna and our own place in the landscape.
Living Communities can be explored under the following topics:
- "Life in the balance" - looking at rare and threatened species, effects of urbanisation, pollution, climatic change
- "Exploring diversity" - different types of ecosystems, species adaptations, classification of flora and fauna
- "Sustainable communities" - sustainable water and energy uses/systems, lifestyle decisions, indigenous cultural practices, voice of youth in community development.
The Kids in Action programme engages students in learning about the environment through a 'kids teaching kids' approach. Delegates from your school will:
- present their workshop to fellow students
- watch other schools present their workshops
- participate in hands-on activities as part of the Environmental Projects Day
- develop an active role for a greener future.
Kids Teaching Kids Workshops, Lake Kawana Community Centre
Environmental Projects Day : Mary Cairncross Scenic Reserve, Maroochy Wetlands Sanctuary, Maroochy Regional Bushland Botanic Garden
Cost: $110 (GST inclusive) for each participating school.
Cost includes: entry to the 2 day program, all meals, bus travel during the event and student workshops. Fee also includes access to education officer and mentors to assist presenting schools in the lead up to the event. This covers 12 delegates from your school (students and teachers).