- Last updated:
- 12 Mar 2019
Use this directory to find out how the name of a park, place or community infrastructure came about.
Note: the inclusion of a park name in this directory does not imply official endorsement of the name by Sunshine Coast Council or any other authority.
If you have any information regarding the name of a park, place or community infrastructure that is not captured in this directory, please email the Community Connections Team email@example.com.
Displaying 166 results
Frank McIvor Park Gothic Parade, Currimundi
Named after Frank McIvor, local association football (soccer) player who represented Australia internationally in 1938.
Frank Tenkate Park Sunset Drive, Little Mountain
Frank Tenkate Park was named after Frank Tenkate who was a well-known figure respected for his business acumen, insight, fairness and his behind-the-scenes generosity. Frank and his wife, Margaret, have supported various community groups including Red Cross, Cancer Fund, Caloundra Australian Rules Club, Caloundra Rugby League Club, Caloundra Mets Surf Club and Caloundra Primary and High Schools. The Tenkate Group is now managed by Frank and Margaret's children, Anthony Tenkate and Kim Cullen. Frank Tenkate lived on the property until his death. His family suggested naming the park "Frank Tenkate Park" in his memory. Date named: 25 April 2005
Geoff Shadforth Memorial Bridge Florey Boulevard (Oceanside), Birtinya
Geoff Shadforth Memorial Bridge was named in memory of former co-director of Shadforth's Civic Engineering Contractors, Mr Geoff Shadforth, who died in a tragic accident in 2013. Mr Shadforth was heavily involved in the planning and engineering of the named bridge and was instrumental in its construction. The Shadforth's Civic Engineering company had also been a long term supporter of many community charities including SunnyKids of the Sunshine Coast. Date named: 27 February 2014
George Best Park Ninderry Road, Yandina
Named after George "Butcher" Best a local Yandina businessman who lived at Yandina from 1892. Date named: 8 January 1996
Gheerulla Pioneer Park Eumundi-Kenilworth Road, Gheerulla
Bert Sims an ex Maroochy Councillor donated the land for this park on the basis that it be made a lasting memorial to the pioneer farmers of the Kenilworth District. In his position of councillor, Burt utilised Federal Drought Relief monies and a great deal of volunteer labour to fulfil his dream of seeing the memorial park established in 1979. Unfortunately he passed away in 1981 before the memorial plaque he had planned had been installed on the rock that he had selected at the park entrance. Date named: 1 January 1979
Gilbert Park 26 William St, Moffat Beach
The name is in recognition of George and Dorothy Gilbert who were previous owners of the land and actively involved in the community throughout the 1960s. George Gilbert donated funds to the Caloundra Committee for Services to the Ageing (CCSA) hall in 1972 and built the first supermarket in Caloundra. George also served on the Committee of the Services to the Ageing.
Graham Stewart Park Currimundi Road, Currimundi
Graham Stewart Park was named after Graham Stewart who was a notable member of the Lions Club Lake Currimundi and Kawana. Mr Stewart passed away in 1997. Date named: 12 June 1997
Hardie Buzacott Wildflower Reserve West Ulm Street, Tooway Parade, Roderick Street, Moffat Beach
Named after Australian journalist, publisher and politician; Charles Hardie Buzacott who was the managing editor and director of the Courier Mail. In 1873 Charles Buzacott was elected to the Legislative Assembly of Queensland for Rockhampton and died in 1918.
Horton Park Horton Parade, Maroochydore
The original owner of the land was Robert Earnest Horton. Robert moved to Maroochydore in the early 1920's. He was a very generous man always helping out where he could in charity related things for the community. One of those gestures was donating his land, today known as Horton Park, for the use of the Maroochydore community. Always a community-minded man, Robert donated the land in 1929 for the use of golf and other recreation. After his death in 1934, his donation went on to fulfil the lives of many keen golfers in the Maroochydore region. The Horton Golf Club was established in 1950. A shed and an outhouse was erected in 1952. Today, the Horton Golf Club members have moved to the Maroochy River Golf Club in Bli Bli. Robert's generosity and community involvement is remembered with Horton Park and the street running parallel to the Sunshine Plaza, Horton Parade, named in his honour.
Hugh Cochrane Lookout Kenilworth
Believed to be named after Kenilworth resident and returned Australian WWII soldier Hugh Cochrane 2/26 Ballalion enlisted 18 July 1940 - discharged 4 July 1946 - confirmed came home on hospital ship "Karoa".