- Last updated:
- 16 Nov 2015
- Roger has a special interest and expertise in heritage conservation. Roger registered as an architect in 1984, and has been in private practice in Caloundra since that time.
- In the 1990s Roger was active with the National Trust’s Coast Branch and over the last 20 years has been an advocate for heritage conservation on the Coast.
- Roger sat on the MSC Heritage Advisory Board in the 1990s and more recently on the Caloundra and Sunshine Coast’s Heritage Advisory Groups. Roger also sits on the Gympie Regional Council Heritage Advisory Committee.
- Bachelor of Design Studies
- Bachelor of Architecture.
- A long standing involvement with the Caloundra Lighthouses, starting with an initial investigation for the National Trust in 1992. The 1896 lighthouse had been relocated to Golden Beach in 1970, after being replaced with a modern signal station, light and radar installation, but by the 1990s had fallen into disrepair. The immanent automation and relocation of the signal station presented the opportunity to restore the old lighthouse back to its original site, and re-create an historical situation when the two buildings stood side by side in the late 1960s.
- Roger completed a conservation study in 1996 and was the architect for the works in 1999. The project received a commendation at the RAIA 2000 Queensland awards.
- Roger became the inaugural President of the Friends of the Caloundra Lighthouses.
- In 2010, Roger submitted a State Heritage Listing proposal for the lighthouse’s precinct, and Council negotiated a ten year license with the State Government. By 2012, with Roger as architect, the Friends had done critical maintenance works and made some adaptions to facilitate public visitation, culminating in a new classification certificate. They then signed a three year license with Council to open the buildings. See the Caloundra Lighthouses website[include7]. Open days are currently every second and fourth Saturday of the month.
- Roger coordinated a Council grant to investigate post WW2 heritage and conduct a pilot study of Moffat Beach - see the Sunshine Coast Places website[include7]. Work continues to record additional places and to lobby for recognition and conservation for this aspect of the Coast’s character. The project received a Commendation and was Regional Project of the Year at the 2014 Sunshine Coast Australian Institute of Architects awards.
- In 2013 Roger presented at an ICOMOS Seminar on Cultural Landscapes and the Glass House Mountains.
- In 2014 Roger presented at Fibro Coast on the Gold Coast, a touring exhibition presenting the artistic, cultural and design story of the humble Fibro beach house.
- Inaugural President and currently honorary architect for The Friends of the Caloundra Lighthouses Inc.
- Member and immediate past President of the Rotary Club of Caloundra.
- Fellow of the Australian Institute of Architects (AIA) and is active in the Sunshine Coast Chapter.
- Member of the Sunshine Coast and Gympie heritage advisory committees.
- Represents the AIA on the Sunshine Coast Urban Design Advisory Panel.
- Member of the National Trust of Queensland.