- Last updated:
- 03 Apr 2017
Fairview is a state heritage listed property located in North Maleny. It sits on about 2.5 hectares of land surrounded by gardens, paddock and fruit trees.
The property has a dairying history typical of the time from 1907 to when the industry restructured in the mid-1990s.
Council owns and manages Fairview with the help of a ‘friends’ group. The Cultural Heritage Levy is funding a management plan for Fairview at Pattemore's. This plan will guide the property’s:
- future conservation
Fairview is part of the Maleny Community precinct. It provides an understanding of the heritage of the area and life as it once was. The house and heritage gardens are currently being restored.
Fairview is open to the public on the last Saturday of the month from 2.00 pm until 4.00 pm. For information or bookings, visit the Friends of Pattemore House Facebook page, or email the Friends at email@example.com.
Fairview is one of the oldest examples of early twentieth century farmhouses still in its original location. There are only a few houses of this type still in the area. The house is lowset and made of hand worked beech boards. The wood was cut, pit-sawn and dressed on the property for John and Emily Pattemore in 1907. This form of building is rare and the core of the house is very extensive and still intact.
The house has four rooms under the core roof, with an enclosed room at the back end of each side veranda. Verandas surround the house, with the side and back veranda now enclosed. The house block was fenced - to keep the cattle out - and just beyond this fence was a shed that housed the Pattemore’s buggy. Other outbuildings included the dairy and machinery shed.
J.R. Pattemore ran a dairy farm on the property, using share farming. The family built a share farmer’s house, “Mosman” that was located 400 metres east of Fairview. William (Bill) Dickson had the lease to share farm and run the dairy from 1927 until 1947. J.R. Pattemore and Bill Dickson introduced the first Friesian dairy cattle into the Maleny area.
Following J.R. Pattemore’s death in 1947, the title to the farm transferred out of the Pattemore family in 1948. A series of short term owners and tenants, including CSR, occupied the property from 1949 until 1969. The Armstrong family, George, Daisy and son George, purchased the 160 acre dairy farm as tenants in common. The Armstrong family consigned the milk to Queensco Dairy Co-Op. The Armstrong family operated the dairy farm until 1995, when Caloundra City Council acquired the property.
The Friends Group
Council and the Friends work in partnership to interpret the heritage values of Fairview.
The Friends are a dedicated conservation and research group formed in January 2008. The Friends of Pattemore House research stories, photographs, documents and artefacts related to the property.
The Friends hold meetings on the second Saturday of each month at Fairview. The group also holds research sessions and working bees. For membership enquiries, contact the Friends at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit the Friends of Pattemore House Facebook page.