- Last updated:
- 21 Sep 2016
This information is a guide to help you plan your journey. It provides details of what to bring with you and what you should do to stay safe.
Travel times to Maroochydore by road:
|From Brisbane||90 minutes|
|From Gold Coast||2 hours, 30 minutes|
|From Noosa||42 minutes|
|From Caloundra||24 minutes|
|From Mapleton||37 minutes|
|From Eumundi||31 minutes|
Note: these times are estimates only and depend on traffic conditions.
Kayak and canoe hire
You can hire canoes and kayaks from the following companies:
Suncoast Kayaking Tours
Sales and Hire
Coolum Beach Qld 4573
0431 706 983
Swan Boat Hire
07 5443 7225
Swan Boat Hire
59 Bradman Avenue Maroochydore Qld 4558
- For a list of recommended items to take, print the paddler's checklist.
- Be aware of water levels and currents as tides and winds can significantly affect the difficulty of the trip.
- Always wear a properly fitted personal floatation device (PFD). Small children will need specialised sizes.
- Watch for motorboats. Paddle to the nearest shore.
- Respect anglers. Paddle away from their lines.
- Where possible, travel in pairs or groups. Groups of at least three or four people are recommended – especially for longer sections.
- Plan your journey and let someone responsible know before you go.
- In case of an emergency, bring a mobile phone in a waterproof container. There is good reception along the trail.
- Wear sunscreen, a hat, strong footwear, and clothing suitable for all seasonal weather.
- Observe signs and regulations.
- Stay in your craft while on the trail.
- Ensure your craft is in good condition and free of leaks.
- No matter how far you paddle, you may have to paddle back.
- Beware of exhaustion. Take as many breaks as you need and carry plenty of water and food.
Visit the Weather website and the Coastwatch website for weather and tide information.
For more information, visit the Coast's visitor information centres or contact council's customer service centre.