- Last updated:
- 08 Dec 2016
Council provides a weekly domestic general waste collection service to Sunshine Coast residents.
Find the collection day for your general waste bin.
Council is in the process of changing the bin lid colour for general waste, so that it meets Australian standards. This means over a period of time all green lid domestic general waste bin lids will change to red.
Waste bins are for general household waste only, such as food waste and plastic bags. They are not suitable for recyclables. These items are to be placed in your recycling bin.
Waste collection charges
Your council rates include:
If you need extra collections or a more specialised service for your home or business, please refer to the register below to see a list of services. Extra services are available and payable by invoice as per fees set by council in the Register of General Regulatory Fees and Commercial Charges.
Contact council's customer service centre to arrange this service.
After hours commercial waste collection
For urgent issues relating to commercial waste collections on weekends or public holidays, please contact council's customer service centre.
At the close of business council phones are diverted to the after hours emergency service provider. There is no need to dial a different number.
Bulk bins are available for commercial premises across the Sunshine Coast. Different sizes are available, depending on individual waste management requirements.
Note: Maximum weight for all bulk bins = 200kg per cubic metre.
|1 cubic metre||1400 mm||900 mm||900 mm|
|1.5 cubic metres||2000 mm||900 mm||900 mm|
|2 cubic metres||2000 mm||1200 mm||900 mm|
|3 cubic metres||2000 mm||1400 mm||1200 mm|
Please contact council's customer service centre for more information.
Waste bin collection guidelines
- bin collection vehicles operate from 6.00 am to 6.00 pm. Please place your bin on the kerb before 6.00 am on your collection day
- bins should be placed a minimum of 500mm apart on the kerbside
- please ensure the following materials are not placed in the waste bin:
- hazardous, chemical, or medical waste
- building waste
- car parts
- heavy items such as large rocks or concrete
- 240 L bin maximum permissable weight = 80 kgs
- if the bin contents exceed the allowable limit it cannot be emptied
- all items placed in the bin should fit loosely so the bin empties easily
- the bin lid must be able to close completely
- lightweight materials such as vacuum cleaner dust should be contained in a plastic bag
- place your bin within half a metre from the roadside, with wheels facing away from the road
- ensure the collection truck has access to the bin, with no obstacles in the truck’s way
- please ensure your bin is returned to the property as soon as practical after emptying.
Waste collections occur between 6.00 am 6.00 pm on the day of service. A service is not considered 'missed' until after 6.00 pm.
Note: You should only report a missed service after 6.00 pm on the service day but before close of business the following working day or there will be an extra collection fee charged.
Bin damage and replacement
You can report damaged or stolen bins to a customer service officer by completing the online form.
Please note that residents are responsible for the cleanliness of their bin.