Buskers and Street Performers
  • Last updated:
  • 22 Jul 2016

All street performers working within the Sunshine Coast region must hold a current permit. These permits are issued by council. Council is in the process of reviewing permit renewals for existing permit holders.

New applications

Complete the application form and submit to council with the applicable fee.


Street performance on the Sunshine Coast is regulated by the following local laws:

Frequently asked questions

An artist is a person who practices performing arts such as a circus performer, actor, musician and dancer or demonstrates creative arts such as a painter, sculptor, or writer.

Street performance is not a person who sells, offers or exposes for sale any article or commodity, or performs on behalf of any political or religious organisation.

Yes, all artists must hold a current permit issued by the Sunshine Coast Council.

If the artist is under 18 years of age, the application form must be signed by a parent/guardian and both parties must attend an interview with a council officer. Additionally, if the artist is under 16 years of age, council requires the parent/guardian to provide supervision during street performance activities.

The permit application fee for an adult during the period from 1 August 2016 to 31 July 2017 is $78.00. The permit application fee for not-for-profit organisation and artists under the age of 18 years during the period from 1 August 2016 to 31 July 2017 is $36.00. The application fee is non-refundable. 

Yes, it is recommended that artists arrange their own insurance cover including public liability insurance, personal accident and illness insurance and cover for their own property and equipment. Council has obtained public liability insurance cover for uninsured artists only and is for liability claims from third parties only.

Council has identified suitable performance locations across the Sunshine Coast. Locations and times may vary, please check council's website for updates.

Please contact council’s customer service centre with details.

Yes, if you have your own public liability insurance, hold a current council permit and written permission from adjacent proprietors. Please contact council's customer service centre for more information.

Artists are only permitted to perform for a maximum of one hundred and twenty (120) minutes at one site with two twenty (20) minute intervals.

Street performance will be primarily of a performing arts nature. Permits are not issued for acts that contain nudity or offensive, derogatory, sexual, racist or generally discriminatory material or inference.

Yes, if you fail to adhere to any of the conditions set out in your permit.

You must display your permit in a highly visible position so it can be seen during your performance.