Rates Information
  • Last updated:
  • 17 Aug 2017

Council funds many services and facilities through rates payments. These services include:

  • road works
  • maintaining foreshores
  • parks
  • gardens
  • libraries.

A full list of rates and charges is available in council's revenue statement.

Council issues rates notices twice a year:

  • in January –  for the six month period from 1 January to 30 June
  • in July – for the six month period from 1 July to 31 December.

Additional rate notices may also be issued when there have been adjustments to the rates and charges levied in January or July.

Land valuations

The value of your property, along with the main or primary land use, is the basis for the calculation of the general rate.  The Department of Natural Resources and Mines (DNRM) sets this rateable value and land use. For valuation enquiries contact the DNRM. For an explanation of the land use codes used by DNRM and council refer to land use codes 1 July 2017.

General rates

There are 31 general rate categories set in the annual budget for 2017/18. Every property in the region has been allocated into one of these 31 categories. Each category has a 'cents in the dollar rate' and a 'minimum general rate'. General rates are calculated by multiplying the rateable value of a property by the category's 'cents in the dollar rate'. The minimum charge applies when the resulting amount falls below the set minimum general rate for the category.

A summary of council's differential general rates categories is in the revenue statement (Section 3.2.1(i)).


If you believe your general rate category is incorrect you can object. The only ground for objection is that you believe your property should be in another category.

If you lodge an objection the rates and charges must still be paid by the due date. If the category is changed because of the objection, council will adjust the rates and advise you in writing.

Principal place of residence (PPR) - Category objection

The property where you live is called your principal place of residence (PPR). This category is charged differently than for a residential property that you own and don't reside in. A PPR is a residential dwelling or unit where at least one owner/ratepayer permanently lives.


To have a property classed as your principal place of residence complete the PPR declaration form and provide supporting documents as proof of residency.


You can apply for PPR status even if the property is held in a company or trust name. Complete the PPR declaration form for companies. The ratepayer must:

  • permanently live at the property
  • provide evidence of shares / ownership of the company / trust by the ratepayer
  • provide proof of residency.

Category objections not related to your principal place of residence

Please refer to the full definitions of each general rate category as detailed in the differential general rates (Section 3, 2.1 (i)) Table 1 of the Revenue Statement) before lodging an objection using the differential category objection form.

Rates forms and documents

Revenue Statement

Objection forms

January 2017 rate notice inserts

July 2017 rate notice inserts


Council charges interest on rates and charges not paid by the due date. Interest charges are 11% per year compounding daily.


For more details or assistance contact council's customer service centre.