- Wednesday 16 October 2013
The State Government has today announced legislation enabling the handover of state land upon which Sunshine Coast Airport stands, to Sunshine Coast Council.
Deputy Premier Jeff Seeney has unveiled the Queensland Government Airport Directions Statement, which outlines the future for airports throughout the state, and which will enable Sunshine Coast Airport to more easily attract investment.
Mayor Mark Jamieson has welcomed the news.
“This announcement acts as an enabler for council to seek financial investment capital to fund the construction of the new runway, and backs up what is already designated a State Significant Project,” he said.
“It represents a major contribution to our efforts to have the new runway operating at Sunshine Coast Airport by 2020, simplifying the land tenure arrangements at the Airport.”
Council will now also be able to execute leases to tenants which will encourage further jobs growth in the important high-quality aviation sector, Mayor Jamieson said.
“Aviation and aerospace is one of the seven high-value industries council has identified in the Economic Development Strategy 2013-2033,” he said.
“I would like to thank the State Government for taking this step to assist Sunshine Coast Airport’s future development.”
Benefits flowing from the new runway include:
- Additional passenger capacity
- Access to growing markets and new domestic and international destinations
- Increased freight capacity
- Stimulus to the Sunshine Coast’s tourist and commercial base
- Diversification of the Sunshine Coast’s economic and jobs base
- Provision of around 5,000 new jobs
- Injection of around $1.6 billion in regional economic benefit between 2015 and 2050
- Improved safety and capacity of the airport to operate in varying weather conditions