- Thursday 16 June 2016
It is an exciting time in Division 4 as we witness the genesis of SunCentral, one of our region’s smartest game changing projects.
Divisional councillor John Connolly said of the almost $61 million capital works budget allocated for division 4, just over $56 million would be dedicated to SunCentral.
“This is an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to create a new central business district on the Sunshine Coast and is a key element in building our smart region”, Cr Connolly said.
“Council’s 2016/17 $253 capital works budget is focused on building Australia’s smart region.
“While SunCentral may be a major focus of expenditure in the year’s budget, a further $5 million of capital works investment will occur across the division,” Cr Connolly said.
“More than $2.4 million will be spent on transport infrastructure, including $500,000 on streetscaping in Mooloolaba as part of the place making Mooloolaba Master Plan, $190,000 on pathway upgrades in Mooloolaba and Alexandra Headland and $103,000 to upgrade the Dalton Dr intersection in Maroochydore.
“In keeping with Council’s commitment to encourage healthier lifestyles, we will be spending more than $1.2 million to continue stages 4b and 5 of the Minyama to Mooloolaba cycleway, Goonawarra Dr cycleway as well as pathway upgrades along Nicklin Way and the Buderim Ave/Mooloolaba Esp intersection. Green cycle lanes will also be continued along Point Cartwright Dr at Buddina.
“A further $200,000 is allocated for installation of pedestrian and cyclist facilities on Lady Musgrave Dr at Mountain Creek.”
The division’s popular recreation parks are not forgotten with $853,000 dedicated to ensuring continued enjoyment by locals and visitors.
“Alexandra Skate Park will receive $250,000 toward a major upgrade that will continue into the following year,” Cr Connolly said.
“A comprehensive community engagement program has been initiated and Council is working with a specialised team, including experienced skate park designers, on this upgrade to make sure the new Alex skate park is a modern and innovative facility.
“Jessica Park ponds in Minyama has been allocated $250,000 for stage 1, with a further $200,000 for stage 2 development in the 2017/18 budget.
“The pirate playground at Mooloolaba spit will receive $125,000 for new shelters and playground upgrades.”
Cr Connolly said that more than $250,000 will be invested in essential flood mitigation works in Mooloolaba, Alexandra Headland and Buddina.
“From funds in this year’s budget, a concrete open drain will be installed at the intersection of Surf and Okinja Rds at Alexandra Headland, flood mitigation works will be undertaken at Ocean View Ave in Mooloolaba and stormwater upgrades at Point Cartwright Dr, Buddina will be completed,” Cr Connolly said.
“The 2016/17 budget is wide ranging and will help deliver a positive future for Division 4.”
Division 4 budget highlights include:
- $56 million for Maroochydore City Centre
- $4.5 million to build an intersection at Aerodrome Rd, Maroochydore
- $3 million to design and construct a waste collection station at Maroochydore City Centre
- $550,000 for stage 4b of the cycleway from Minyama to Mooloolaba
- $500,000 for streetscaping as part of Place Making Mooloolaba Master Plan
- $345,000 to construct a cycleway at Goonawarra Dr, Mooloolaba
- $250,000 to upgrade Jessica Ponds at Nicklin Way, Minyama
- $250,000 to upgrade Alex Heads Skate Park
- $250,000 to construct public toilets at Pacific Blvd, Buddina (adjacent Kawana Surf Life Saving Club)
- $200,000 for pedestrian and cyclist facilities at Lady Musgrave Dr, Mountain Creek
- $165,000 construct pathway between Buderim Av & Mooloolaba Esp, Alexandra Headland
- $150,000 to upgrade the revetment wall at River Esp, Mooloolaba
- $150,000 to concrete the open drain at Surf & Okinja Rds, Alexandra Headland
- $148,000 to renew the pathway at Candlewood Cl, Mooloolaba
- $125,000 to upgrade shelters & playground facilities at Pirate Park, Parkyn Pde, Mooloolaba
- $103,000 to upgrade the intersection at Dalton Dr, Maroochydore
- $100,000 for flood mitigation works at Ocean View Ave, Mooloolaba
- $80,000 to install stormwater quality devices at Alexandra Headland
- $77,000 to construct a pathway at Mooloolah River along Nicklin Way, Minyama
- $75,000 to implement landscape plan for La Balsa Park (staged), Harbour Pde, Buddina
- $75,000 to construct stage 5 of the cycleway between Minyama and Mooloolaba
- $50,000 to upgrade the boardwalk at beach access 205 on Pacific Bvd, Buddina
- $50,000 to design for park layout and new buildings at Mooloolaba Holiday Park at Parkyn Pde, Mooloolaba
- $42,000 to renew the pathway at Alexandra Pde, Alexandra Headland
- $42,975 to apply protective coating on the Mooloolah Island Bridge, Minyama
- $41,625 to apply protective coating on the Minyama Island Bridge, Minyama
- $40,000 to landscape the Mooloolaba Spit boardwalk, Parkyn Pde, Mooloolaba
- $35,357 to upgrade the stormwater drainage at Point Cartwright Dr, Buddina
- $35,000 to replace the shade structure at Cuba Park, Cuba Crt, Parrearra
- $26,000 to install a green cycle lane at Point Cartwright Dr, Buddina
- $25,000 to renew the BBQ facilities at Double Bay Beach Park, Grande Pde, Parrearra
- $25,000 to renew BBQ & picnic shelter at Goonawarra Park, Goonawarra Dr, Mooloolaba
- $20,000 for a structural assessment at Parrearra Canal pedestrian bridge, Minyama
- $20,000 for corrosion treatment at Tucker’s Creek pedestrian bridge, Mooloolaba
- $15,000 to design & install signage at Alex Forest Conservation Area, Alexandra Headland
- $15,000 to replace seating at Kawana Community Hall, Nanyima St, Buddina
- $10,000 to upgrade play equipment at Rosella Park, Rosella Street, Parrearra
- $10,000 to upgrade playground equipment at Coopers Lookout Park, Pacific Bvd, Buddina (adjacent Kawana Surf Life Saving Club)