- Thursday 16 June 2016
Coolum Library will receive a $300,000 funding injection, the Coolum Aquatic Centre pool surface will be replaced to the tune of $350,000 and Doonan Bridge Rd, Verrierdale will be sealed at a cost of $2.5 million next financial year.
These are just some of the local projects to be delivered by Sunshine Coast Council’s $253 million 2016/17 capital works budget.
Division 9 Councillor Steve Robinson said this year’s council budget focused on building Australia’s smart region, providing significant upgrades to core community facilities while focusing on preserving our environment for future generations.
“There will be major improvements made to Coolum Library and Aquatic Centre, as well as the divisions playgrounds, Coolum skate park and beach accesses,” Cr Robinson said.
“The renovations for Coolum Library are particularly exciting. This year council will complete the designs and start construction to create a modern and vibrant community space.
“Coolum Library will receive a major $1.2 million renovation in a staged project with $300,000 funding provided for stage 1 in 2016/2017 and more than $920,000 for stage 2 the following year.
“In other works, power lines on David Low Way, Bli Bli will go underground ahead of a future streetscaping upgrade.
“As well as the $2.5 million being spent sealing Doonan Bridge Rd, Verrierdale council has allocated funding to improve a section of Valdora Rd, Valdora at a cost of $300,000. I’m sure both projects will be welcomed by locals.
“Not only are we continuing to make significant improvements to our community facilities and public infrastructure, we’re funding several game-changing projects that will benefit the whole region and implementing the 2015 Sunshine Coast Social Strategy to help build a resilient community.
“These major upgrades will build Australia’s smart region by providing better facilities for our residents and a strong future for our kids.”
Division 9 budget highlights include:
- $5.3 million for various upgrades and expansions at the Nambour Resource Recovery Centre
- $2.5 million to seal Doonan Bridge Rd, Verrierdale
- $350,000 to replace Coolum Aquatic Centre pool surface
- $350,000 on various Bli Bli Streetscapes
- $300,000 to improve a section of Valdrora Rd, Valdora
- $300,000 for Stage 1 of Coolum Library renovation
- $212,000 for improvements to the stormwater network
- $200,000 to renew the amenities at Wilkinson Public Park on David Low Way, Coolum Beach
- $210,000 to relocate the Coolum Community Centre to allow for upgrades to Jack Morgan Park
- $120,000 for improvements to the Coolum Beach Skate Park
- $50,000 to renew the Beach Access 88, Yaroomba.