- Thursday 25 June 2015
Upgrading a major part of the Maroochydore road network, expanding important tourism facilities and improving popular park and foreshore areas are key focus areas for Division 8 expenditure in Sunshine Coast’s 2015-16 budget.
Divisional Councillor Jason O’Pray said the $588 million Council budget built on major work completed this financial year and focused on shaping the future for Division 8.
“This Council is continually looking forward with sound planning to encourage more confidence in investment and a long-term vision to be Australia’s most sustainable region with strong community, a better economy and a healthier environment,” he said.
“As part of that, this budget allocates $11.9 million towards the Evans Street Upgrade to improve traffic flow, cycle and pedestrian connectivity, increase road safety and allow for future forecast traffic volumes as well as providing a vital link from Maroochydore Blvd to Maroochydore Rd.
“A number of our very popular natural open space areas will also undergo improvements.
“The Maroochy River Foreshore Open Space Master Plan will have $320,000 allocated towards it as part of a $1.5 million investment over five years.
“The popular and picturesque Chambers Island playground will undergo a $120,000 renewal, the Picnic Point Public Amenity block will be rehabilitated to the tune of $190,000 and the Cotton Tree Master Planning will progress.
“Popular tourist accommodation centres like the Mudjimba Holiday Park will undergo a $500,000 expansion and a $140,000 cam kitchen will be added to the Maroochydore Beach Holiday Park.”
The Division 8 budget highlights include:
- $11.9 million for the Evans St, Maroochydore upgrade
- $3.2million towards the Sunshine Coast Aerospace Precinct
- $932,000 for various stormwater projects to improve drainage within the division
- $695,000 for the Maroochy Beach Foreshore Development Plan and implementation
- $573,000 for road reseal and rehabilitations
- $500,000 towards the expansion of the Mudjimba Holiday Park
- $450,000 for the South Coolum Rd upgrade
- $320,000 for the Maroochy River Foreshore Open Space Master Plan (as part of a $1.5million investment over five years)
- $250,000 for sealing of gravel road to new boat ramp on Nojoor Rd, Twin Waters
- $230,000 for the Cotton Tree Aquatic Centre heat pump renewal of the 50m pool
- $218,000 for intersection upgrades on Toolga St, Mt Coolum
- $190,000 for the rehabilitation of the public amenity block at Picnic Point
- $180,000 to upgrade South Coolum Rd, Coolum
- $170,000 towards the Chambers Island, Maroochydore bridge renewal
- $140,000 for the Maroochydore Beach Holiday Park camp kitchen
- $125,000 towards the North Shore Multi Sports Complex
- $120,000 Chambers Island, Maroochydore playground
- $100,000 for the Sixth Ave cycleway
- $100,000 for Duporth Ave streetscapes
- $90,000 to upgrade Timari St, Pacific Paradise streetscape
- $90,000 for pedestrian and cycling facilities at David Low Way, Mudjimba
- $90,000 to renew channel and pathway at Duporth Ave, Maroochydore
- $60,000 for Cotton Tree Park Master Planning
- $50,000 for Cotton Tree Aquatic Centre
- $50,000 for Cotton Tree Pde, Maroochydore groyne geo-bag renewal.
- $45,000 for the Cotton Tree Park playground
- $43,000 for the Warrack St, Mt CoolumpPark
- $40,000 for the playground renewal at Adolf Blanck Park