- Friday 26 June 2015
Continued upgrades to Alexandra Headland foreshore will be a showpiece capital works item in Sunshine Coast Council’s $588 million budget.
Divisional councillor Chris Thompson said Council’s budget built on major work completed this financial year.
“A further $403,000 will be spent this year on Stage 6 of the Alexandra Headland Foreshore Park upgrade,” Cr Thompson said.
“That makes up about half of the $958,000 expected expenditure on parks and gardens in Division 4 this year.
“Other open spaces will also benefit, with $140,000 spent upgrading Coopers Lookout, playground equipment upgrades worth $100,000 at Pierce, Walker and Whitsunday parks, and Mooloolaba Spit Boardwalk will receive $50,000 in upgrade funding.
“La Balsa Park has been allocated $70,000 to define and plan new landscaping, with a further $830,000 allocated over the next five years to implement the plan.”
Street-scaping of Brisbane Rd – a main entry road into the Mooloolaba tourism precinct – has also been allocated $300,000.
Cr Thompson said Mooloolaba Holiday Park would also get a mid-life facelift and new amenities worth $358,000.
“The holiday park is a Mooloolaba icon and very popular with tourists so this upgrade is a great investment,” Cr Thompson said.
A major investment in cycleways will also be made this year.
“We will be spending $2.65 million on cycleway works from Minyama to Mooloolaba, which has been a missing link in our cycleways around the Sunshine Coast for some time,” Cr Thompson said.
“Cycling’s popularity is rapidly increasing year-on-year as people take up healthier lifestyles, so it’s important we deliver this infrastructure.”
More than half a million dollars will be spent on flood mitigation works in stormwater drainage systems around Goonawarra Dr and Mari St, while revetment works on seawalls at various Mooloolaba Beach locations will receive a further half-million dollars.
“Division 4 contains some of the most popular residential and tourist precincts on the Sunshine Coast so it is very important we maintain the assets we have, and present a clean and vibrant face to our tourist visitors,” Cr Thompson said.
“Both domestic and international tourism has increased substantially, so I will be making sure our premier tourism precinct is presenting its best face and facilities.
“This budget shapes positive future for Division 4.”
Division 4 budget highlights
- $2.6 million for Minyama to Mooloolaba cycleway
- $2.4 million reseal and pavement rehab
- $403,000 for Alexandra Headland Foreshore Park Stage 6
- $400,000 for underground power at Alexandra Pde, Maroochydore
- $358,000 to upgrade Mooloolaba Holiday Park upgrade
- $300,000 for Brisbane Rd, Mooloolaba streetscaping
- $250,000 for Mooloolah River Mooloolaba dredging works
- $220,000 for flood mitigation at Goonawarra Dr, Mooloolaba
- $200,000 for Mooloolaba North Beach Terrace seawalls
- $180,000 to enable disabled beach access at Alexandra Headland
- $180,000 to enable disabled beach access
- $140,000 to upgrade Coopers Lookout, Buddina – replace exercise equipment
- $100,000 to renew Beach Access 167 at Alexandra Headland
- $80,000 for Alexandra Headland Skate Park concept plan
- $70,000 to review La Balsa Park Landscape Plan/design review
- $50,000 for Mooloolaba Spit Boardwalk – design
- $50,000 to upgrade Pierce Park, Alexandra Headland playground
- $30,000 to upgrade Walker Park, Alexandra Headland playground
- $20,000 to upgrade Whitsunday Park playground 00
- $15,000 to renew Beach Access 156, Alexandra Headland