- Thursday 25 June 2015
Major improvements to popular public parks, facilities and transport infrastructure are among the 2015-16 budget highlights for Division 9.
Divisional councillor Stephen Robinson said the $588 million council budget shaped a positive future for the region’s environment, community and the economy.
“Jack Morgan Park is widely recognised as the heart of Coolum and the pulse of that precinct is really going to liven up as the renovations progress at the Civic Centre and Library and the park itself,” he said.
“Stage one of this terrific project is underway and involves upgrades to the Civic Centre including new entry statement, outdoor seating, extensive renovations to the foyer, kitchen and meeting room areas.
“This work will continue in the new financial year with $120,000 allocated towards renewal of the timber flooring.
“More than $60,000 will also be spent on the design of the nearby Coolum Library extensions, with an additional $750,000 set to be spent over the succeeding two years to construct.
“Cr Robinson said $2.4m had been allocated towards progressing upgrades under the Coolum Sports Complex Master Plan.
“This will include additional junior sports fields and improvements pedestrian and vehicle facilities,” he said.
“I’m also very pleased to see that $346,000 will go towards the renewal of the boardwalk and interpretive centre at the Maroochy Wetlands Sanctuary.
“Important transport infrastructure projects will also take place, with $2.3 million allocated to the North Arm-Yandina Creek Road upgrade and $1.46 million to replace the Eumundi Range road bridge.”
The Division 9 budget allocations for 2015-16 include:
- $2.4 million for the Coolum Sports Complex Master Plan
- $2.3 million for the North Arm - Yandina Creek Road upgrade (a $3.2 million project over the next two years)
- $1.465 million for the Eumundi Range Road, Eumundi bridge replacement
- $786,000 for road reseals and rehabilitations
- $346,000 for the Maroochy Wetlands boardwalk and interpretive centre renewal
- $200,000 for South Coolum Rd/Beach Rd, Coolum intersection improvements
- $200,000 for Jack Morgan Park, Coolum landscape concept planning
- $120,000 for the Coolum Civic Centre timber floor renewal
- $100,000 towards the Point Perry, Coolum Concept Plan implementation
- $100,000 for the Mt Ninderry Stage 2 Walk Trail renewal
- $75,000 towards the Tickle Park, Coolum Masterplan implementation
- $62,000 towards the stage one design of the Coolum Library extension
- $50,000 for the Beach Access 90, Yaroomba renewal
- $41,000 for the Bli Bli Muller Park, Bli Bli children’s playground upgrade
- $30,000 for the Jubilee Esp, Point Arkwright walking trail renewal works