- Friday 27 June 2014
Better road and bridges, parks and sporting facilities will be the outcome of Sunshine Coast Council’s $114 million 2014/15 capital works budget.
Mayor Mark Jamieson said the $509 million budget focused on building a stronger economy, environment and community and this injection of infrastructure funding would help achieve that goal.
“Council will spend $53 million on transport and stormwater projects, $9 million on parks and gardens, $6 million on community and sporting facilities and more than $6 million on the airport and holiday parks over the next financial year,” Mayor Jamieson said.
“More than $13.2 million will be spent on the road reseal program and $4.8 million on road pavement rehabilitation.”
Mayor Jamieson said one of the biggest projects undertaken in the next financial year was four-laning Evans St, Maroochydore at a cost of $6.7 million.
“This upgrade will decrease traffic congestion and improve road safety for pedestrians and cyclists, while providing better connections to public transport,” he said.
“The new Maroochydore City Centre will increase traffic volumes so these works are imperative to improve traffic flow in that area.”
Other traffic management projects include the $2 million road upgrade project near Sienna Catholic College to continue roadworks to alleviate traffic congestion on Sippy Downs Dr.
The works should be finished by the new year and will include traffic lights, footpaths and access points for any future developments.
More than $2.3 million will be spent on Brisbane Rd, Mooloolaba to install a protected cycleway, pathways and upgrade the road corridor for streetscape improvements.
“This budget takes us significant strides closer to achieving our vision to become the most sustainable region in Australia,” Mayor Jamieson said.
“We are creating once-in-a-generation opportunities and we owe it to our kids and our grandkids to get this right.
“With sound planning and infrastructure, we can continue to enjoy the lifestyle we’ve all come to love and enjoy, and create a robust economy, more jobs, a healthy environment and a stronger community.”
Key infrastructure projects 2014/15:
- $16.24 million Maroochydore City Centre
- $13.2 million road reseal program – various locations
- $6.7 million Evans St, Maroochydore four-laning
- $4.8 million road pavement rehabilitation
- $4.7 million Caloundra landfill new cells and leachate disposal
- $2.8 million Alexandra Headland Streetscape
- $2.3 million Brisbane Rd, Mooloolaba protected cycleway, pathways and streetscapes
- $2.2 million Nambour Resource Recovery Centre
- $2 million Sippy Downs Dr, Sippy Downs
- $1.9 million Image Flat Quarry machinery replacement
- $1.1 million Eudlo School Rd bridge replacement
- $1.1 million Sports Rd, Bli Bli gravel road network
- $1 million Ninderry Rd, Ninderry stormwater management
- $1 million Bulcock St, Caloundra Streetscaping works
- $1 million Delicia Rd, Mapleton sealing of gravel road
- $950,000 million Caloundra Regional Tennis Centre
- $325,000 Bokarina to Wurtulla coastal pathway