- Wednesday 31 August 2016
Sunshine Coast Bike Week is on September 24 - October 2 and it’s packed with free events for all ages and cycling abilities.
Events range from introductory mountain bike rides, social pathway rides and children’s courses to commuter cycle training and CycleFest’s 100km Grand Fondo ride.
Mayor Mark Jamieson said Sunshine Coast Bike Week aimed to get more people riding, more often.
“Bike Week is for everyone – whether you ride every day or occasionally, or haven’t been on a bike in years, you’ll find something to suit you in the program of events,” Mayor Jamieson said.
“There are so many benefits to cycling and the best way to get started is to just give it a go.
“Many people start riding regularly after participating in events like this – it often just takes that one reminder of how fun and easy it can be.
“Cycling is also a great way to get active for both recreational and transport purposes. You can ride with friends and enjoying the great parks and foreshores of our region, or commute to work and travel to the shops.
“This year Bike Week is on during school holidays, so it’s a great opportunity for families to join in a great range of events.”
- Register: Council is coordinating events across the region. View the full list of events in the program and contact the organiser for each individual workshop or event to register.
- Win: Register for any of the free events during Bike Week to enter the draw for one of four $500 bike shop vouchers. You’ll get one entry for every event you attend.
Following Bike Week, the next event on the cycling calendar is Ride2Work Day – on Wednesday, October 12. Council is organising guided rides and celebratory breakfast locations at Birtinya, Caloundra, Cotton Tree and Nambour. Everyone who registers for Ride2Work Day will enter the draw for a $1000 bike shop voucher.
Why ride a bike?
- Cycling has many health benefits and is a rewarding, fun and cheap way to get from A to B (which also helps the environment).
- It’s a fun social activity, a great way to get outdoors with friends and family and enjoy what the beautiful Sunshine Coast has to offer.
- It’s a low impact exercise, which makes it perfect for people of any fitness level and age.