- Thursday 24 March 2016
Sunshine Coast Council has approved a $20 million development application to develop the new Bli Bli Village Centre on the corner of Bli Bli Road and David Low Way.
Sunshine Coast Council Chief Executive Officer Michael Whittaker said the complex would revitalise the town centre and provide a new range of services for the community.
“Residents in Bli Bli and surrounding areas can look forward to a livelier village centre that will include a health and wellbeing centre, diverse retail opportunities and recreational facilities in the new complex,” Mr Whittaker said.
“New commercial offices, a gym and a new tavern will also be welcome additions and attract further retailers and businesses to the area.”
Developer Michael White said the development would further enhance the existing services available in Bli Bli.
“The development of Bli Bli Village Centre will deliver important services to the growing Bli Bli community, such as medical and business services, and builds on the success of the River Markets Shopping Village,” Mr White said.
The development will take place over more than 8000sq m and will be completed in three stages:
- Stage 1, in the centre of the site, will be the construction of the health and wellbeing centre that consists of 584sq m gross floor area (GFA) of office, 382sq m GFA of health care services, 277sq m GFA of indoor sport and recreation (a gym) and 636sq m GFA of retail.
- Stage 2 will feature 968sq m GFA of office space, 1001sq m GFA health care services and 725sq m GFA of retail.
- Stage 3 will constitute the Bli Bli Tavern, 20 accommodation units with ancillary bottle shop.
Mr Whittaker said council had negotiated an infrastructure agreement with the developer which would benefit the local community.
“Council has worked closely with the developer and approval was granted in line with an infrastructure agreement that will result in the developer investing $350,000 toward the cost of undergrounding existing powerlines,” Mr Whittaker said.
“The development will also include upgraded streetscaping along David Low Way and Bli Bli Road.”
Details of the development are publicly available on council’s PD Online system using application number: MCU15/0168
Bli Bli Village Centre complex
2,4,6 Bli Bli Road and 304, 306, and 308-312 David Low Way
- 8,294 sq m three storey commercial development
- 20 short term accommodation one-bedroom units
- New tavern
- Children’s play area
- 275 onsite parking spaces
- $350k developer investment in undergrounding existing powerlines
- Streetscaping upgrades
- New traffic lights on David Low Way
- Approximately 150 retail job opportunities created
- Approximately 70 construction jobs