- Wednesday 27 May 2009
5 June marks World Environment Day but council will be celebrating all month long with lots of environmentally friendly activities throughout ‘GreenJune’.
WED aims to stimulate worldwide awareness of the environment with this year’s theme ‘Your Planet Needs You: Unite to Combat Climate Change’.
Environment portfolio Councillor Keryn Jones said that GreenJune activities provide an opportunity for the community and local businesses to reflect on how their actions affect the worldwide environment as well as their own local region.
“There are heaps of interactive activities during GreenJune for people to get involved in, culminating in the Sunshine Coast World Environment Day Festival, Sunday 28 June,” Cr Jones said.
“The first event is a presentation to learn about local native plants at 1.30pm Wednesday 3 June, at the Beerwah Library, Peachester Rd, Beerwah.
“Or you may feel in the mood for a presentation on the Richmond Birdwing Butterfly Recovery Project, at 10.30am on Thursday 4 June, Mary Cairncross Education Centre, 148 Mountain View Road, Maleny.
“Environmental sustainability isn’t isolated to one month a year—local people can get involved all year long with council’s activities and programs such as Living Smart, Travel Smart, Waterwise and EcoBiz.”
Some of the other activities council is supporting include:
- Local Family Bike Ride: 8.30–10.30am, Saturday 6 June, Creek Park, Noosaville
- Nambour Recycling Centre Tour: 9am–1pm, Saturday 6 June, Resource recovery and Education Centre, Cooney Road, Nambour
- Noosa Festival of Water: 10am to 3pm, Sunday 7 June, Lake Macdonald Drive, Cooroy
- Green Flicks @ the Civic, Living Smart Nambour—HOME is a feature film by Yann Arthus-Bertrand: 6–8pm, Wednesday 17 June, Nambour Civic Centre, Currie Street, Nambour
- Floating Land art exhibition: Friday 19–28 June, Boreen Point, Lake Cootharaba
- The Blue House Turns Green—Eco-renovating workshop and open day: Sunday, 21 June, Yandina Community Garden
- Composting and Worming Workshop: 9.30–11.30am, Tuesday 23 June, Coolum Beach Library, Park Street, Coolum Beach
- Babes on Bikes TravelSmart Bike Ride: start 9.30 am, Wednesday 25 June, starting at Jacksonia Place, Noosaville
Registration is required for most of the events.
Check council’s website for more events and details.