- Monday 24 August 2015
Sunshine Coast Council has announced 87 not-for-profit community organisations will be granted $762,906 to help meet their operational expenses this financial year.
The Community Partnership Funding Program, endorsed in January 2015, offers up to three years of funding towards on-going operational costs, which is the most difficult type of funding for community groups to secure.
Community Programs Portfolio Councillor Jenny McKay said Council’s Community Partnership Funding Program would assist community groups to deliver key services and facilities across the region and multi-year funding provides certainty for community groups as they plan for the future.
“Community organisations funded in this round advised they have just over 18,000 registered members and approximately 8,750 volunteers carrying out around 552,500 hours of service. This represents a tremendous contribution to making the Sunshine Coast a vibrant and valued place to live and visit,” Cr McKay said.
“This program will fund a wide variety of not-for-profit organisations, across five different categories, that provide facilities and services supporting the delivery of Council’s priorities. It ensures that these organisations continue to operate and invest their time on service delivery and on building long term sustainability.”
The 2015/16 round of partnership funding will support community groups throughout the Sunshine Coast Council region across five categories:
• Community Development
• Community Facilities
• Community Safety
• Cultural Heritage
• Economic Development
Below are just some fo the organisations funded in for the 2015/16 partnership year.
Community Development – 11 groups with $119,679 funds
- Volunteering Sunshine Coast as a contribution towards operational, training and development costs in support of their sustainable volunteerism initiatives.
- Arts Connect Inc as a contribution towards operational costs in support of their role as an umbrella arts organisation providing links and opportunities for local artists.
- Inclusion Plus Family Support Inc for the direct support of operational cost for Sunshine Coast Access Advisory Network (SCAAN) which raises awareness and advocates for improved access and inclusion across the region.
Community Facilities – 53 groups with $372,011 funds
- Sunshine Coast Riding for the Disabled Inc towards operational costs as they deliver therapeutic and recreational equine services from their purpose-built facility.
- Northshore Community Centre Inc as a contribution towards the operational expenses of this active and highly utilised community centre.
- Nungeena Aboriginal Corporation for Women's Business for a new partnership with an active indigenous group which operates a community centre at the base of Mount Beewah and offers a range of cultural awareness programs and welfare services.
- Headland Bowls Club as a contribution to operational costs for the lawn bowls club.
Community Safety – 6 groups with $158,900 funds
- Sunshine Coast Animal Refuge Society as a contribution to operational and animal care costs in support of the refuge and rehoming services offered.
- Community Solutions Group Inc as a contribution to the operation of the Street Angels program which aims to increase safety and reduce risks in key hospitality precincts.
Cultural Heritage – 11 groups with $65,669 funds
- Friends of Pattemore House for a new partnership supporting the operation of Fairview House which is an important cultural and historic site in Maleny.
- Friends of Caloundra Lighthouses Inc as a contribution to operational costs as the group works to conserve the Caloundra Lighthouse Precinct and document maritime history.
Economic Development – 6 groups with $46,647 funds
- Sunshine Coast Business Women's Network as a new partnership with a contribution towards operational expenses in support of the organisation's continued growth of its business support programs.
- Nambour Alliance Inc as an established partnership with a contribution towards operational expenses to allow the organisation's continued implementation of activities and events in support of the local business community.