- Wednesday 09 December 2009
Coolum is set come alive on Friday afternoon as the community celebrates the return of full Esplanade trading with the opening of the new Coolum Retail Precinct.
Coolum Business and Tourism, in conjunction with Sunshine Coast Council and Coolum Cliffs Boardwalk Committee, are presenting the inaugural Coolum Fiesta – from 3 pm to 7 pm, on Friday December 11 – and taking the opportunity to send a message of hope to some of Sunshine Coast’s families in crisis.
Visitors to the vibrant event are being encouraged to bring along a gift to put into one of several boxes that will be located both at the retail precinct (cnr David Low Way and Beach Roads, Coolum) and under the community Christmas Tree at the beginning of the Boardwalk.
The gifts will then be given to the Coolum Lions for distribution among the 27 adults and 45 children currently in the care of the Lions Emergency Accommodation Centre.
Although the centre itself is government funded, they rely heavily on public donations to fund life’s little extra’s and help families, that find themselves homeless or in crisis, regain independence as they transition back into society.
The centre also organises outings during school holidays, runs the ‘KEIHS’ (Keys to Early Intervention In Homelessness) program, the ‘Better Start’ household management program, as well as providing furniture, appliances and household goods to families who are starting over.
“We fund an extra $60 to 80,000 a year over and above the government funding, and donations from the public are certainly always welcome,” said LEAC committee member, Lion Don Knopke.
“We were pleasantly surprised to be named as the benefiting charity for the Coolum Fiesta; now Santa can take care of his end of the bargain!”
Families are encouraged to drop a present into the box on Friday, together with a tag giving the appropriate age and gender that the gift is suitable for, before enjoying the festivities.
What's on for the day
Retail Precinct – David Low Way
- 3:00pm - Watpac official opening and invitational afternoon tea
From 3:30pm - The precinct celebrates in style with roving entertainers, face painting, Sausage sizzles, opening trader specials, Pantastic Steel band, Cool Harmonies, Great Scott Comedy Circus, Donna the Christmas Fairy, massaging station etc.
- 4:00pm - Lions Twilight markets begin in Tickle Park
- 4.15pm - Follow the Piper up to Pt Perry for the official opening of the new shelter by Cr Vivien Griffin. Refreshment and fun for the kids.
- 6:00pm - Retail Precinct – Surprise visitor arrives for the kids. Coolum Beach SLSC BBQ near the main beach entrance.
Christmas Tree - Boardwalk
- 6:15pm - Follow the Piper and ‘Miss Donna the Christmas Fairy’ to the Coolum Christmas Tree, at the start of the Boardwalk for carols by the Coolum Primary School Choir. Cr Vivien Griffin and President of Coolum Business and Tourism Association Inc, Judy Osborne will ‘plug in’ the Christmas Lights in a thrilling display. MP Fiona Simpson sings a final carol with the Primary School Choir to close the event.