- Friday 24 February 2012
Sunshine Coast Council yesterday received the Arts Industry Incubators Feasibility Study Report that investigated the needs of artists and creative practitioners as a part of the overriding creative industry initiative for the region.
Community Policy and Programs Portfolio Councillor Jenny McKay said the feasibility study was undertaken in line with council’s commitment to develop artists, arts groups and creative businesses in the region.
"The report captures what our creative industry communities have told us they want and there is overwhelming support to move forward," Cr McKay said.
"The report identified arts micro-business incubation was a vital tool in developing and sustaining local arts business and practice.
"The action plan of the report involves a staged program approach over three years to deliver the recommendations at a cost of $244,000 and will be considered by council in the 2012/13 budget bid development process."
Economic Development and Council Entrepreneurship Portfolio Councillor Lew Brennan added it is also important to emphasise the link between community services, strategy and planning and economic development in regards to creative industry initiatives.
The feasibility report includes the following recommendations to council for the local creative industries:
- coordination of council response with a partnership required between Community Services, Strategic Planning and Economic Development;
- detailed mapping of the status and needs of arts micro-businesses;
- the need for the development and support of an industry body;
- nurture and build on existing successful incubation and entrepreneurial models;
- explore new models for developing spaces and facilities; and
- explore new forms of financing and partnerships for investment.
The action items to be included in the up-coming budget bid include:
- detailed industry mapping;
- region-wide creative industries workshops;
- peak body development and support;
- region-wide marketing support and identity development;
- research and trials into commercial incubation models;
- report on the potential of creative industries within the Principal Activity Centre; and
- research the establishment of gallery/studio trails across the region.