- Friday 08 April 2016
The plan to turn Mooloolaba into a world class beach destination has taken a step forward, with Sunshine Coast Council calling for local, national and international design specialists to tender for the detailed design of the foreshore.
Division 4 Councillor John Connolly said the foreshore design was one of the first stages of the endorsed Place Making Mooloolaba Master Plan, which outlined a long-term vision for the area.
“We are seeking exceptional landscape architecture firms who can bring together a team of specialist consultants including aquatic designers, playground designers and urban artists to deliver high calibre designs for this foreshore parkland area,” Cr Connolly said.
“It is essential we have outstanding design specialists as part of the team to deliver the detailed designs of a high quality beachfront public area for our community.
“Once this detailed design has been completed, council will be able to apply for State or Federal grants and proceed with construction once council funds have been allocated in future budgets.”
The master plan brings together four key precincts to revitalise the iconic area – the Foreshore and Esplanade, the Mooloolaba Heart, the Wharf and the Southern Gateway.
It retains the natural aspects of Mooloolaba and increases beachfront public parkland and will help council create better public spaces, including 40% more public parkland, 2.4km of enhanced waterfront pathways, improved spaces for sporting and entertainment events.
Specific elements of this tender include:
- A preliminary design to reinvigorate the much-loved foreshore from Mooloolaba Surf Club to Alexandra Headland
- Conceptual designs for a ‘Great Ocean Walk’ connection around Alexandra Headland and a tidal pool in the existing rock pool area
- An active lifestyle focus with bike ways, pathways, fitness equipment, and expansive lawn areas
- A mix of wide, open space event areas including an amphitheatre for major events
- A new water play activity space
- Two new playgrounds catering to toddlers and adventure youth play (9-12 years)
- Refurbishment of the iconic Loo with a View structure
- Increased provision of shaded picnic facilities including more seating, BBQs, shelters, and spacious grassy areas
- New kiosks and amenity buildings
- Extensive landscaping and more shade, with a strong environmental strategy including beach nourishment and rehabilitation of the dunes.
View the Place Making Mooloolaba Master Plan.
Council has previously received multiple awards for its Place Making approach and the way in which it engages with the community to deliver quality plans and infrastructure for our region.
The tender will be advertised on Saturday 9 April via the QTenders website and local and national newspapers.