- Monday 31 August 2015
The first month of spring is shaping as another exciting and action-packed period for events on the Sunshine Coast.
Eight Council-supported major events will be held in our region during September, delivering a conservative estimated economic impact of $11million.
Sport, Tourism and Major Events Portfolio Councillor Jason O’Pray said the Sunshine Coast played host to about 30 major and regional events each year which generated approximately $50 million towards the local economy.
“Our region has built a reputation over many years of sponsoring and supporting major and regional events and working with event promoters to ensure the successful delivery of their events,” Cr O'Pray said.
“The hard work of Council and the market leveraging expertise of Sunshine Coast Destination Ltd and our welcoming and enthusiastic local community have provided the ideal ingredients for our region to establish itself as one of regional Australia’s most attractive events destinations.
“The Sunshine Coast’s magnificent year-round climate and our clean environment has also contributed to our record of events hosting excellence and ensured that event promoters keep coming back and encourage other event promoters to bring their events here."
Sunshine Coast Council has an endorsed Major and Regional Events Strategy for the region. It established the Sunshine Coast Events Board in 2013 to advise Council on issues and collaborative opportunities to support the region’s investment in existing major events, identify other possible sources of sponsorship funding, secure new major events for the region and to oversee the implementation of this strategy.
Cr O’Pray said the Board was constantly discussing new ideas, identifying new trends in the major events industry and sharing individual expertise in the fields of business, law, media, tourism, events and government.
“The Sunshine Coast Events Board reviews all sponsorship applications from tried and true annual events and new events and makes sponsorship recommendations to Council,” he said.
“In 2015, the Board will also be aiming to enhance the economic and strategic marketing benefits generated through major event sponsorships to achieve an even higher return on investment for the Tourism and Major Events Levy contributors and the entire Sunshine Coast community.
“Local businesses can now capitalise further on major events that are held in the region through the events+ program.
"This is an initiative of Sunshine Coast Council and the Sunshine Coast Events Board and has helped a number of local businesses leverage major and regional events.”
To find out more about joining the events+ campaign contact dtb Advertising on 5458 5600 or email email@example.com
Sunshine Coast upcoming Major Events, Fast Facts:
Late August events (estimated economic impact: $4million):
- August 29 & 30 – Australian Motocross Championships (Final Round) – Coolum Pines Motocross Track, Coolum
- August 30 – Sunshine Coast Marathon – Alexandra Headland, Mooloolaba, Cotton Tree & Maroochydore
September events (Estimated economic impact: $11 million):
- September 12: QLD Bowlriding Championship (skateboarding) – Coolum Beach
- September 12 & 13: Real Food Festival – Maleny Showgrounds
- September 12 & 13: IRONMAN 70.3 Sunshine Coast – Mooloolaba, Alexandra Headland & Sunshine Motorway
- September 16-19: National Youth Touch Football Championship
- September 19 & 20: Offshore Superboat Championships (Round 5) – Mooloolaba, Alexandra Headland & Maroochydore (offshore)
- September 25-28: Champion of Champions (Football/Soccer) – Sunshine Coast Stadium/Kawana Sports Precinct
- September 26 & 27: National Outrigger Canoe Junior Titles – Lake Kawana
- September 28 & 29: Trans-Tasman Gubbi Gubbi Waka Ama Outrigger Canoe Junior Titles
Other major events for 2015 include:
- December: Tag World Cup (tag football/oztag style)
Major events for 2016:
- April: Australian Surf Lifesaving Championships (2016 Aussies)
- May: Va’a World Sprint Titles (Outrigger Canoe Racing)
- June: Australian National Square Dance Convention
- September: IRONMAN 70.3 World Championships (Triathlon)
- October: Australasian Police & Emergency Services Games