- Wednesday 30 October 2013
From 26 December 2013 to 5 January 2014, all public buses and council cabs will be free across the region, thanks to Sunshine Coast Council’s Public Transport Levy and TransLink.
By leaving the car at home this holiday season, you could save money in petrol, alleviate parking and traffic hassles, and discover that buses are a convenient and comfortable travel option.
Transport strategy portfolio councillor Rick Baberowski said if you haven’t been on a bus for some time, now is the perfect time to try one.
“The fleet on the Sunshine Coast is air-conditioned, modern and comfortable and with the recent review in timetables, there is even better connectivity to trains and key locations around the Coast,” Cr Baberowski said.
“Each year we continue to get really positive feedback from bus commuters who take advantage of the Free Holiday Buses program. This feedback, together with passenger data is reviewed annually, to assess the program’s viability.
“I think the most encouraging result from last year’s survey showed that 59% of respondents said they would use public transport more in the future as a result of the Free Holiday Buses program.
“While 70% of Sunshine Coast locals, who normally don’t use the buses, enjoyed getting around to visit places on the Coast they hadn’t been in a while—free of charge.
“So why not do something great for your pocket and our environment and catch the bus to your favourite holiday spot instead of driving.”
The free services include:
- TransLink’s Sunshine Coast Sunbus services (25 routes).
- Glasshouse Country Coaches services (Hinterland Connect and Maleny-Landsborough-Beerwah).
- Flexilink services (Boreen Point to Tewantin, Lake Macdonald to Cooroy, Conondale to Witta to Maleny, Kenilworth to Mapleton and Peachester to Beerwah).
- Council Cabs services.
For specific route times and maps, pick up a timetable from your local council office, library or visitor information centre, or:
- for TransLink’s Sunbus timetables visit translink.com.au or phone 13 12 30 anytime.
- for Glasshouse Country Coaches, Flexilink and Council Cabs timetables visit Council's website or phone 5475 7272.
Normal booking procedures apply to Council Cabs and Flexilink services.