- Wednesday 27 May 2009
Is your relationship in trouble and you don’t know your rights? Come along to the free seminar on the new laws regarding de facto property rights on Monday 22 June at Caloundra Library.
The new laws apply to de facto relationships ending after 1 March 2009 and allow separating de facto couples to access the Family Court and Federal Magistrates Court to resolve disputes in the same way married couples can.
The main purpose of the laws is to bring the rights of de facto couples in line with the rights of married couples.
Local lawyer Colin Mildwaters will be on hand to explain the new rules and answer questions such as:
- What sort of relationships are covered under the new laws?
- Can I opt out of these laws?
- What if my relationship ended before 1 March?
- How do I make an application?
- What are the practical effects of these changes for separated couples negotiating towards a property settlement?
The free seminar will start at 10am and includes morning tea.
Bookings are essential. Please contact Caloundra Library on 5491 1255 to book your spot.