Grants available for environmental projects on private property
  • Tuesday 14 January 2014

If you own a rural property on the Sunshine Coast and would like to protect and enhance the biodiversity of your land and of the region, why not consider applying for a Landholder Environment Grant?

Landholder Environment Grants have a three stage application process with all interested applicants required to first submit an Expression of Interest form by 5pm 24 February. A council officer will then arrange to visit your property to discuss the project and funding amounts, with the final stage of the process being an online application.

Holder of Community Programs and Environment Portfolios, Councillor Jenny McKay said the Landholder Environment Grants enabled council to work together with the community to help the environment.

“These grants allow a partnership approach to the delivery of projects that protect our region’s natural assets, preserve the biodiversity of the region and promote ecologically sustainable management of our environment,” said Cr McKay.

“Funded by the Environment Levy, the Landholder Environment Grants assisted 182 landholders last year to the value of $480,112.

“Projects that are eligible for funding may include fencing to restrict stock access to vegetation and waterways, revegetation to restore degraded areas or establish vegetation corridors and control of environmental weeds to rehabilitate native vegetation areas.

“Priority will be given to projects with high ecological value, creating balance between people and the environment.”

While expressions of interest for the Landholder Environment Grant must be submitted by 5pm 24 February 2014, applications will not be required until after a council officer has visited your property. Applications will be due before 23 April.

To find out if your project is eligible, contact a grants officer on 5475 7272, email or visit

Environmental Grants for not-for-profit community groups are also currently available under council’s Community Grants Program. Further information is available on council’s website.