- Thursday 08 December 2011
Sunshine Coast Council has developed a draft Master Plan for the popular Ballinger Park sport complex.
Division 6 Councillor Christian Dickson said the purpose of the master plan is to maximise the future potential and functionality of the sporting complex over the next 15 years.
"Council is seeking input from the community to ensure that the draft master plan meets their needs and expectations for the complex," Cr Dickson said.
"We have reviewed how sporting groups and the broader community utilise the complex and have developed future initiatives in keeping with community aspirations.
"The draft plan acknowledges the significant population growth in the area and the resulting increasing demands for quality sport and recreation facilities by the community."
Recommendations in the draft plan include;
- A regional hockey centre with the capacity to host and attract high standard events by the provision for a second synthetic hockey/multi-use field
- A regional archery centre with the capacity to attract and host international events (subject to detailed design outcomes)
- Increasing the capacity for soccer and hockey
- Recognition of the need for additional tennis courts within facility
- Increased parking accessibility for users
- Introduction of a potential second entry into the site for horse floats (to be determined by detailed design)
- Improved connectivity throughout site
- Introduction of recreational elements for the community through proposed recreational park and trail network
- Flexibility in design to adapt to any future changes in demand for playing fields.
"This is a wonderful example of sport and recreation master planning and is testament to the foresight of user groups and the local community," Cr Dickson said.
"Community input will help inform the finalisation of the plan and ensure it provides appropriate recommendations for current and future user groups."
Community members are invited to review the plan and provide written comment or attend a community ‘meet in the complex’ session on Saturday 17 December 2011 from 9am to 11am at the Ballinger Park Sports Complex on Ballinger Road, Buderim.
Your input is important to us. If you are unable to attend the ‘meet in the complex’ session, please complete the feedback form available at council’s website by Wednesday 4 January 2012.
For more information contact council on 5475 7272.