- Tuesday 30 November 2010
Cooroy Library is offering a multitude of activities for young people over the school holidays.
There is so much to choose from that you may find yourself at the library every day of the week enjoying the entertainment, workshops and online activities.
- Every Monday, Animation Station will be open as part of the Summer Reading Club.
- Young adults aged five and upwards will have access to craft, activity sheets, colour-ins and puzzles.
- On 22 December starting at 9:30am, the library will have a Christmas themed craft event, with a special guest appearance from a jolly person dressed in red and white to keep the little ones entertained with a story or two about reindeers and snow.
- Don’t miss the Animation Station party on 10 January which will have an online theme. You will get to talk with children’s author, John Danalis online, explore the children’s e-book collection and other online resources for your children. All ages and parents welcome.
- Popular children’s author and poet, Jacqueline Lee will be reading poetry from her new book, Excuses and More on 16 December at 10am.
- Jacqueline condenses school lessons into poetry, enabling children to gain a fair understanding of a subject in a few minutes. This type of literature has a lot to offer and parents will have the opportunity to meet the author and ask questions about this style of teaching and learning for children.
Guitar Hero jam sessions
- For the young people who like to party, Guitar Hero jam sessions will be held every Friday afternoon. Make some noise in the library and let loose on the rock and roll legend within!
3D photo album workshop
- Create your very own 3D photo album in a workshop on 21 December at 9.30am.
- Bring along some family photos and make a 3D collage that would also make a great Christmas gift idea. This workshop, for eight to 12-year-olds, is all about clever recycling, crafty ideas and creative inspiration.
Social network Elfing
- Elfing is a hip way of sending a Christmas e-card for those uninitiated to the broad social network activities available on the World Wide Web.
- Elf e-cards are a very amusing and interactive way of inserting photos onto dancing elves. There are a variety of backdrops, music and funky dance moves to choose from, resulting in a memorable and hilarious Christmas music clip to send out to those on your Christmas card list.
- Make sure you book for this session to be held on 23 December for those aged 12 and up.
- Special guest entertainer, Professor Jellybean will be appearing in the library on 5 January.
- Professor Jellybean will lead the children through the scientific process of creating ‘Freaky Goo Worms with glitter’ followed by a ‘Totally Gross Experiment’.
- Anything could happen in one of Professor Jellybean’s science experiments, be prepared to laugh, enjoy and possibly be totally grossed out.
- Pokemon club meets on the second Saturday of every month. Bring your Pokemon trading cards and your DS if you have one. New players welcome.
- Make green growing creatures at the Grassheads workshop on 11 January. This interactive workshop is for kids of all ages.
- Attendees will be able to decorate a stocking filled with seed and then get to take the creation home, water it and watch the grass grow – it’s a lot of fun.
2D digital Animation workshop
- On 18 January, Mark Guthrie will be leading an Animation workshop for kids aged 12 and up who want to learn how to animate their drawings.
- This 2D digital animation workshop will teach kids how to use open source program Pencil to create their own digital cartoons.
For more information about any of the Cooroy Library school holiday events or to make a booking, phone 5454 9000 or visit http://library.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au/ .