- Thursday 20 August 2015
The entrance to Currimundi Lake from the ocean has been closed off from today for a six-week period to help combat the dreaded biting midge during summer.
The lake will remain at its high tide level for six weeks to drown larvae, ultimately reducing the amount of hatching adult midges.
Lake goers can continue to use the lake as normal during the closure.
Division 3 Councillor Peter Cox said larvae numbers were already about three times higher than last year and Council needed to act in the interest of community comfort.
“Council has been monitoring midge numbers since 2008, and all indications are that this summer there will be a lot more midges flying around than we have seen, or felt, for the past four or five years,” Cr Cox said.
“Council will try to interrupt the midge larval hatching cycle so our heavy machinery has manually closed off the entrance to the lake to keep water at a high level.
“This will drown the larvae which live in the sandy banks and stop the adults from hatching, ultimately keeping their populations relatively low for many months afterwards.
“The lake will still remain open for users during this time; it will just be constantly full and closed off to the ocean.
“Hopefully this action will make it a lot more pleasant for surrounding residents and the many people who enjoy Currimundi Lake as we head into spring.”
In partnership with Curimunidi Catchment Care Group, Council will be monitoring bank stability within the catchment and water quality in the lake to ensure safe swimming conditions for all users.