- Tuesday 24 November 2015
There is now less than a week remaining for the community to have its say on the proposed changes to a range of Sunshine Coast Council local laws.
Community Programs Portfolio Councillor Jenny McKay said local laws helped to ensure safety, harmony and good rule in our communities.
“Local Laws govern such things as parking, keeping animals, approvals for activities, bathing reserves and dog off-leash areas,” Cr McKay said.
“Regular review of the local laws is an opportunity to look at any issues and impacts and propose any changes for improvement.
“The proposed amendments introduce definitions, recommend updates and suggest changes to help make the local laws clearer and better reflect the intent.
“During November, there is an opportunity for everyone to review the proposed local law changes and let council know their views.
“Council will review all submissions before making a decision on the proposed changes.
“Any changes to local laws and subordinate local laws must be made at an ordinary meeting of council. The proposed amendments are expected to be presented at council’s ordinary meeting in January 2016.”
Local laws affect all residents but the current proposed changes will be of particular interest to:
- Local businesses – regarding placement of kerbside advertising;
- Beekeepers on small acreage – proposed limits to number of hives;
- Horse riders – restrictions on access to public lands;
- A section of Sippy Downs residents south of the university – residential parking permits;
- Dog owners – additional restrictions for dogs at Kings Beach, Shelly Beach, Dicky Beach, Mooloolaba Beach and North Shore;
- Model aircraft enthusiasts – regulate launching or landing a model aircraft weighing more than 500 grams.
For more detail, proposed amendments relate to:
- Local Law No.1 (Administration) 2011
- Local Law No.2 (Animal Management) 2011
- Local Law No.3 (Community Health and Environmental Management) 2011
- Subordinate Local Law No.1 (Administration) 2011
- Subordinate Local Law No.2 (Animal Management) 2011
- Subordinate Local Law No.4 (Local Government Controlled Areas, Facilities, Infrastructure and Roads) 2011
- Subordinate Local Law No.5 (Parking) 2011
For convenience, an overview of the proposed local law amendments is set out in a table on council’s website at www.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au.
Community members are reminded that they have until close of business on November 30, 2015 to prepare and send a submission to council.
Submissions may be lodged via:
- Online submission form
- Download the submission form, complete and send to:
CEO Sunshine Coast Council Locked Bag 72 SCMC Qld 4560
- Or email to email@example.com