- Thursday 28 January 2016
Division 5 Councillor Jenny McKay said the Master Plan covered three key sport and recreation sites that service the Maleny community.
“These include the Maleny Showgrounds, Witta Sportsground and a portion of the Maleny Community Precinct leased to the Maleny District Sports and Recreation Club (MDSRC),” Cr McKay said.
“The endorsed Master Plan provides a long-term vision while taking into consideration appropriate usage and future requirements for facilities and infrastructure at these venues over the next 15 years.
“The study has explored the current and future needs of the Maleny Showgrounds and Witta Sportsground and what role the Maleny Community Precinct can play to service future gaps.”
Cr McKay said throughout the development of the Master Plan, council conducted a broad range of community engagement methods to ensure residents and key stakeholders had an opportunity to provide feedback.
“This included face-to-face meetings, surveys of clubs and schools, two public exhibition sessions and planning workshops for community members. As an example of changes made to the final Plan following community feedback, council will commence negotiations with the Maleny District Sports and Recreation Club to review their lease parameters to provide additional open space and increased opportunities for informal recreation within the Maleny Community Precinct,” Cr McKay said.
“It is important to note council has not made a commitment to fund all recommendations from the Maleny Sport and Recreation Master Plan. Future stages of development will be determined in accordance with council’s future Capital Works budgets, successful applications for external funding and contributions that can be made from clubs and groups who occupy and use these spaces.
“It is vital to have a well-researched plan in place to ensure council is aware of Maleny’s needs to take advantage of funding opportunities as they arise.”
Some of the key recommendations of the Master Plan include:
- Retention of soccer at the Maleny Showgrounds with capacity for a second full-sized field to accommodate growth in this sport;
- A proposed new building site for the Maleny Bridge Club with options at the Maleny Community Precinct and Maleny Showgrounds;
- Extension of community buildings including the Maleny Playhouse and Arts and Crafts facilities;
- Provision for multi-use equestrian fields within the Maleny Community Precinct (portion leased to MDSRC);
- Additional tennis court at the Witta Sportsground;
- Improved parking and access across all sites;
- Support for the extension of walk/cycle pathways to connect Maleny Showgrounds to the Maleny Community Precinct.