- Thursday 23 February 2012
Sunshine Coast Council today adopted a Master Plan for the Ballinger Park Sports Complex which is an integral sport and recreation facility servicing the Buderim precinct and Sunshine Coast community.
Division 6 Councillor Christian Dickson said the Ballinger Sports Complex Master Plan is intended to provide a 15 year vision for the complex, identifying what it should look like and how it should function into the future.
"The intent of the master plan is to guide and inform staged development and provides a framework for strategies to improve overall recreation opportunities for users of the complex," Cr Dickson said.
"At each stage of the master planning process, extensive internal and external consultation was undertaken to engage wider community members.
"It is important to note the master plan acknowledges the significant population growth in the area and the increasing demands for quality sport and recreation facilities by the community."
Key recommendations of the master plan include:
- a regional hockey centre with the capacity to host and attract high standard events by the provision for a second synthetic hockey/multi-use field;
- a regional archery centre with the capacity to attract and host international events (subject to detailed design outcomes);
- increasing the capacity for cricket, soccer and hockey;
- recognition of the need for additional tennis courts within the facility;
- increased parking accessibility for users;
- introduction of a potential second entry into the site for horse floats (to be determined by detailed design);
- improved connectivity throughout the site;
- introduction of recreational elements for the community through proposed recreational park and trail network; and
- flexibility in design to adapt to any future changes in demand for playing fields.