- Saturday 21 February 2009
Sunshine Coast Mayor Bob Abbot has applauded the Government’s commitment to spend $30 million on new pumps to send water to this region if local supplies run low.
Mayor Abbot has also backed the Water Commission’s decision to defer the introduction of tougher water restrictions for the Sunshine Coast until July 1.
In late October, Water Commissioner Elizabeth Nosworthy announced that Coast residents would face medium-level restrictions (target 200) from March 30, despite the region’s ample supplies.
The restrictions were to coincide with moves to begin piping water from Baroon Pocket Dam to other parts of the South East via the water grid.
During his meeting with Ms Nosworthy last year, Mayor Abbot sought and received an assurance that no water would be taken from Coast dams until he had a written guarantee that the pipeline would run both ways.
Yesterday the State Government announced the $30 million outlay, saying the new pumps would be in place by the end of 2011 and provide added security for the region’s supplies.
The Government said until then, water would only be taken from Coast dams if storage levels were above 70%.
Mayor Abbot said the announcement had given the region some certainty and the 70% trigger was reasonable.
“This is an important step and I am pleased to hear they are installing new pumps to ensure water can be piped to us if we run into trouble,” he said.
“I am also pleased that the Water Commission will not be imposing new restrictions on this region until at least July.
“Ideally we’d like to see more rain falling in Brisbane’s catchment areas so that these measures are not needed but in the meantime we are satisfied that the government has tried to address our concerns.”