- Tuesday 31 January 2012
Sunshine Coast Council today adopted a revised master plan for the Meridan Fields Sports Grounds.
Division 1 Councillor Anna Grosskreutz said the revised and renamed ‘Meridan Fields Sports Grounds Master Plan’ now provides a clear guideline for the development of the site.
"The plan builds on the existing infrastructure to reflect best value for money, while retaining flexibility for changes in future use and/or multi-use options over the next ten years," Cr Grosskreutz said.
The revised master plan acknowledges the significant population growth in the area and the resulting increasing demands for quality sport and recreation facilities by the community.
Key features of this master include:
- a district football and AFL facility with the capacity to attract and host local regional events
- a district hockey facility with the capacity to host local regional events (dependent on demonstrated demands)
- greater capacity to cater for the needs of other sports should demands warrant
- a high quality green space for the community to utilise and celebrate
- strong connections between the complex, local schools and the wider community.
"Another great outcome will be the development of a Memorandum of Understanding between council, user groups and the neighbouring Pacific Lutheran College to improve shared use of both the Meridan Fields Sports Grounds and College facilities," Cr Grosskreutz said.