- Thursday 23 September 2010
Do you know how to access your government-held information? Do you know your legal rights under the Freedom of Information Act?
Suncoast Community Legal Service and Sunshine Coast Libraries are holding a specialised legal program titled ‘Right to Information’ at Nambour Library, corner of Currie and Bury Streets, from 10 to 11.30am on Tuesday 28 September 2010.
Alex McKean from Maurice Blackburn Lawyers will conduct the program which will cover the Right to Information (RTI) and Freedom of Information (FOI) laws, outlining people’s right to see information and documents held by the government.
Renowned for representing some high profile clients, Mr McKean will provide important tips to help ensure success for those seeking government-held information as well as a number of practical steps to assist people across the application stage and reviewing processes.
Discussion topics covered throughout the program include:
- Seeking information held by a government agency upon request (RTI and FOI laws)
- Exemptions which a government body can use to not release certain types of information
- The processes for seeking information under these laws
- Important tips which can help ensure success
- Practical steps to assist people making applications
- Dealing with review processes.
The program is free however bookings are essential. For more information or to make a booking, phone 5441 8332.