- Tuesday 11 March 2014
The iconic wreck of the SS Dicky is set to be relocated due to increasing community concerns over public safety.
Division 2 Councillor Tim Dwyer said members of the taskforce formed by council to develop a long term management strategy for the wreck, had unanimously voted in favour of the wrecks relocation.
“This taskforce consists of representatives from Dicky Beach SLSC, community heritage representatives, state government and council,” he said.
“A range of management options for the SS Dicky wreck were considered and discussed at length by the taskforce and the option to relocate was voted as the best way forward.
“By relocating the existing structure we can improve public safety at Dicky Beach and better preserve the heritage values of the iconic wreck.
“It is important to note that this relocation is still subject to approval by the state and project funding consideration by council.”
Cr Dwyer said last month’s proposed interim works to remove parts of the wreck that posed a safety risk had been deemed unsuitable.
“Removing some of the spiked ‘rib’ sections of the wreck would not alleviate the risk to public safety because the naturally occurring fluctuations in sand levels would eventually expose these sharp edges again,” he said.