Sunshine Coast Council’s half-year Development Indicators highlights report shows continued growth for most development types across the region, with $554 million in building approvals recorded during the first six months of 2015.
Planning Portfolio Councillor Christian Dickson said the half-year report provided development statistics and trends for January to June 2015 with a comparison to the same period last year.
“Construction activity has continued to trend upwards with a 21% increase recorded in the first half of 2015, representing a $98 million increase compared to the same period in 2014,” Cr Dickson said.
“Overall, development activity remains encouraging with key indicators showing modest growth—which is particularly important as we look to shape a sustainable future for the Sunshine Coast.
“Key building approval values during the January to June 2015 period include $305 million in new dwellings, $115 million for other buildings (including commercial, manufacturing, warehouse and minor works) and $42 million for new multiple unit dwellings.
“Forward forecasts are also looking positive, with a 29% increase in development applications received in January to June 2015.
“Development inquiries have also increased by 13% over the same period last year, with Council recording 15,247 enquiries compared with 13,442 in the first half of 2014.
“Year-on-year trends show that, since the downturn from 2008 to 2012, development activity has stabilised and is showing positive signs for 2015.
“Steady and sustainable growth in development over the longer term has positive flow-on effects that contribute to increased economic activity across the region, including employment generation, business confidence and consumer spending.”
Master Builders Association regional manager Will Wilson said the mid-year Development Indicators report provided a health check for development activity on the Sunshine Coast.
“The recent Master Builders Sunshine Coast Housing and Construction Awards celebrated the exceptional talent and expertise of our industry and demonstrated the diversity and quality of new developments across the region,” Mr Wilson said.
“The region now has a balanced economic development plan that provides for sustainable growth while not taking away from the character of the Sunshine Coast.
“The projects underway and the projects in planning are designed to continue this growth.”
Cr Dickson said the regular Development Indicator reports provided insight into economic activity on the Sunshine Coast as Council planned for a sustainable future.
More detailed Development Indicators Reports are available quarterly through Council’s web site.
FAST FACTS - JANUARY TO JUNE 2015:
- $554 million building approvals
- $305 million approved new dwellings (64% increase)
- $115 million approved other buildings
- $42 million approved new multiple unit dwellings
- 15,247 development inquiries received
- 13,490 phone inquiries
- 1,468 counter inquiries
- 289 email inquiries
Total applications received
- 7,020 applications received
Lot approval and creation
- 785 lots approved through reconfiguration
- 1,322 lots created through plan sealing
SIGNIFICANT DEVELOPMENTS - JANUARY TO JUNE 2015:
Reconfiguring a Lot
- 163 Lots at North Ridge Avenue, Peregian Springs - REC14/0123
- 145 Lots at Sunshine Cove, Maroochydore – REC14/0052
- 138 Lots at Fishermans Road, Kulin – REC12/0112
- 121 Lots at 50 Abbotts Road, Palmwoods – REC14/0159
Material Change of Use
- 226 Unit Retirement Village - Camp Flat Road, Bli Bli – MCU14/0122
- 224 Unit Resort with Water Park Tourist Attraction– Steve Irwin Way, Glenview – MCU14/0098
- 221 Multiple Dwelling Units - Owen Creek Road, Forest Glen – MCU14/0132
- 175 Multiple Dwelling Units & Community Centre -195 Parklands Boulevard, Little Mountain –
Private Building Certification (Building Approvals)
- $29 million Electrical Substation at Kawana Way, Birtinya – PC14/3113
- $19.5 million Office, Retail, Medical and Carpark at Plaza Parade, Maroochydore – PC14/5630
- $15.5 million 78 Unit Development at Sippy Downs Drive, Sippy Downs – PC15/0247
- $13 million Medical Building at Eccles Boulevard, Birtinya – PC15/1149