- Monday 10 November 2014
It’s been called the ‘brains district’ and the ‘university town’, and latest development activity at Sippy Downs is creating a community where residents can learn, earn, live and play.
Sunshine Coast Council has finalised conditions of approval for a shopping complex that includes a Coles supermarket, specialty retail and commercial space and student-style residential accommodation at the core of the Sippy Downs Town Centre.
Division 6 Councillor Christian Dickson said the shopping complex, located opposite the University of the Sunshine Coast’s main entrace, would complement the expanding university and surrounding education precinct.
“The Coles development will incorporate both commercial and residential elements that will help maximise round the clock vibrancy and usability,” Cr Dickson said.
“This development will help to further diversify employment, bringing around 170 full time retail job opportunities and around 250 jobs during construction to the area.
“It will also add to the pool of affordable living opportunities on the Coast.”
Cr Dickson said he was pleased to see so much activity in the precinct.
“Residents and local business have long anticipated these developments,” Cr Dickson said.
“Having people living in the heart of the Sippy Downs Town Centre will help promote growth of the commercial components by creating additional demand for these services.
“The $4 million Sippy Downs Drive project, which will ensure safer and more functional travel experience, is well underway and should be completed by the end of the year.
“The Super GP Clinic that opened in March, the 305-apartment Atrium residential complex currently under construction and a recently approved child care centre, provide much needed extra services to the Sippy Downs community.”
Cr Dickson said the proposed 965sq m, two-storey, architechturally-designed child care centre would be a welcome addition to this expanding university and education precinct.
“Not only will the centre provide much needed care places for up to 117 children, it will also add to the diversity of employment opportunites by creating an additional 17 jobs,” Cr Dickson said.
“In January 2015, work is expected to begin on Habitat Central Apartments, a 142-residential apartment complex that provides additional accommodation options for the university’s growing student population.
“Our unique ‘university town’ vision for Sippy Downs is now being realised.
“Together, these developments are bringing us closer to realising the vision outlined in the Sippy Downs local area plan of the Sunshine Coast Planning Scheme.
“Sippy Downs is becoming a vibrant and and active town centre—an ideal place to learn, earn, live and play.”
The Coles complex and residential development contributed to Sunshine Coast Council’s latest positive development activity figures.
The council recently released figures that showed building approval values in the July to September 2014 quarter ($340 million) were 27% up on the corresponding 2013 period ($267 million).
Approvals also included residential developments at Meridan Plains and Sunshine Cove.
Council approved 636 lots across the Sunshine Coast during the July to September 2014 quarter compared to the 179 lots during the same period last year.
Coles shopping complex 107 Sippy Downs Drive, Sippy Downs
- 4745 sq m single storey Coles supermarket, specialty retail and commercial floor space
- 24 residential units (six storey building—retail at ground, carparking on level 1 and four storeys of residential above )
- 241 parking spaces
- Approximately 170 full time equivalent retail job opportunities created by Coles and specialty outlets
- Up to 250 construction jobs
Child Care Centre
7 Ochre Way, Sippy Downs
- Contemporary, architecturally designed development
- Sippy Downs Drive frontage with access via Ochre Way
- North facing outdoor play areas
- Open Monday to Friday 6am to 6.30pm
- Accommodate 117 children (97 long day care and 20 after school care places)
- 17 staff positions
- Two storey building with max height of 7.5 metres
- Gross floor area 965sq m with site cover of 31%
- A landscaped area of 826sq m (31%) is proposed
Habitat Central Apartments
65 Sippy Downs Drive, Sippy Downs
- 142-unit residential complex (82 x two bedrooms & 60 x three bedroom units)
- Comprised of three buildings ranging from four to six storeys
- Located within a five minute walk of USC and is on a public transport route
- Expected to start construction in January 2015
8 Starling Street, Sippy Downs
- 305 Multiple Dwelling Units (comprising of 16 x one bedroom units, 144 x two bedroom units, 145 x three bedroom units)
- Final stages under construction
Super GP clinic
9 Ochre Way, Sippy Downs
- Completed in March 2014
- Two storey, 3,000sq m centre
- Operated by Ochre Health
- Standard GP services
- Allied health services, including radiology, pathology, pharmacy, psychology and physiotherapy
- Provide training opportunities for USC health science students
Woolworths, Big W
- Development application approved in January 2012
- 23,664sq m commercial and retail space
- 201 units
Landhart Pty Ltd
136-142 Stringybark Raod, Sippy Downs
- 50 units approved
- Two storeys
- 37 x three bed and 13 x two bed units
11 Stringybark Road, Sippy Downs
- 70 units
- Under construction
174-182 Stringybark Road, Sippy Downs
- 132 units
- Under construction